Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electrical tape conduit repair.

Don't know how well you will see it from the picture. No cooling, outdoor unit not coming on. I pull the disconnect, spin the fan, and get the electrical panel ready to access. Go back inside and call for cool, return to unit and put disconnect back in. *POP* Ruh Roh.

Pull it back out quickly and start looking around underneath the ground cover to discover a previous electrical repair to conduit could not hold up to a roofer, cable guy or whoever stepped on it. Bare wire end poking up at me - don't know whether it was the ground or one of the legs. Upon questioning the tenant, she offered that fuses have blown in the past and she even got a shock once when pulling weeds in the vicinity of the unit.

The serial number for this Carrier was so old it was before the current pattern of week and year manufacutred in the first four digits. The only numbers that made sense were either 87 or 77 for the year. As I have never come across a unit with an electrical panel even remotely like this one (screwed to the back of a hinged door kind of contraption), I believe it just might be from '77. Which would make it the oldest AC I've ever seen still pressed for service.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Put a new whip on and she'll be good for another 35 years.

Yea change whip and repost in WOP

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Yea change whip and repost in WOP
    That would be near the intersection of where Wall of Pride and Wall of Stupidity meet.

I don't believe a simple new whip would provide enough self esteem to overcome the shame of taking money for repairs to a system that old, decrepid and inefficient.

Only in a hardship case would I do that, and would charge next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I don't believe a simple new whip would provide enough self esteem to overcome the shame of taking money for repairs to a system that old, decrepid and inefficient.
    Compared to selling a whole new system when all it needs is a $10 whip that takes a few minutes to change.

A new whip and it'll probably last longer than a new system will...

I wouldnt scrap an old car over a battery even if I got a few more mpg out of a new one. You must admit an AC from 77 still goen strong is impressive.

A ten dollar whip? That's what you would charge? Even on a side job I wouldn't charge less than fifty. Plus the disconnect would likely be deteriorated to the point where it needs to be changed. The rusted cabinet penetration for the old metal conduit would have to be plugged and a new hole for the sealtite fitting drilled. It has to be 100% safe and without question if I am the last one to touch it. And that's just to see if any other issues exist such as low on freon (almost a certainty), compressor function, CFM operation (already a bit stiff).

What you are suggesting in this instance is simply irresponsible, IMO. And I have to believe it's just an overreaction to extreme sales tech tactics.

So what kind of unit is granny getting?

A ten dollar whip? That's what you would charge? Even on a side job I wouldn't charge less than fifty. Plus the disconnect would likely be deteriorated to the point where it needs to be changed. The rusted cabinet penetration for the old metal conduit would have to be plugged and a new hole for the sealtite fitting drilled. It has to be 100% safe and without question if I am the last one to touch it. And that's just to see if any other issues exist such as low on freon (almost a certainty), compressor function, CFM operation (already a bit stiff).

What you are suggesting in this instance is simply irresponsible, IMO. And I have to believe it's just an overreaction to extreme sales tech tactics.
    I vote for a new whip too.... Just put a new cap in the same style unit and fired right up..

Guess I'm irresponsible too.

Did you walk away from this unit because of that???

I read the word tenant in the original post. Which made me think that the person paying the bill may be a landlord. You know how they like to spend money.

And yes, when I said 10 dollar whip that was the "on the shelf at home depot price", not the "billed to the customer price".

Just my two cents, but I recently worked on a John Zink unit from that same vintage that was still working fine. Just needed a new contactor and it was good to go. I've had compressors fail in units that where less than a year old, installed new equipment and found leaks in factory joints, and had all kinds of other fun experiences with new equipment as well.

Tenant would be correct; the fate of the unit is in the hands of the slumlord. I'll easily do the repair if she authorizes it. It is no great feat to replace a whip and a disconnect, hardly WOP material.

But she'll also sign off to the effect that, while power will be restored, safely and up to code; there will be no guarantees that the system is functioning properly. I get paid either way - I don't pay for the parts that I use.

That said, there are always those remarkable units that somehow survive the years are keep on trukin'. There are also a number of new units that have their issues. But those are exceptions to the rule, and I don't rule by exceptions.

I appreciate the can-do mentality only up to a point; there after it becomes a question of balance.

Don't know how well you will see it from the picture. No cooling, outdoor unit not coming on. I pull the disconnect, spin the fan, and get the electrical panel ready to access. Go back inside and call for cool, return to unit and put disconnect back in. *POP* Ruh Roh.

Pull it back out quickly and start looking around underneath the ground cover to discover a previous electrical repair to conduit could not hold up to a roofer, cable guy or whoever stepped on it. Bare wire end poking up at me - don't know whether it was the ground or one of the legs. Upon questioning the tenant, she offered that fuses have blown in the past and she even got a shock once when pulling weeds in the vicinity of the unit.

The serial number for this Carrier was so old it was before the current pattern of week and year manufacutred in the first four digits. The only numbers that made sense were either 87 or 77 for the year. As I have never come across a unit with an electrical panel even remotely like this one (screwed to the back of a hinged door kind of contraption), I believe it just might be from '77. Which would make it the oldest AC I've ever seen still pressed for service.
    Did it have the old Carlyle compressor? I have seen that style of Carrier and didn't think they were even as new as 77. It seemed like with those units- if they ran for four or five years then they would run forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast