Advertised Seer Rating

When a company advertises a specific Heat Pump Model with a "Seer Rating Up to" is that Seer rating based upon a particular variant of the model heat pump, or simply what that model heat pump is matched with?

Posted in wrong forum, I apologize.

Yes and yes. Both size and inspire unit determine seer rating. The critical variables are indoor coil add size and blower efficiency. Blower efficiency is affected by pressure drop across the coil and the sir handler or furnace itself.

The highest efficency match is usually 2or 3 tons on a 5 ton air handler with variable speed motor. Sometimes it's the constant torque air handler because the speed tap closest to target cfm is actually higher than 400cfm per ton. It's sorry of cheating since in the real world good rarely ever use these matches and would select a lower speed unless in a hour dry climate

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Motoguy, I think your autocorrect on your Droid Razr is going bat poop crazy.

As I just said in another post, the sad thing about SEER is that nobody can practically measure real time SEER on an installed unit. It's not like MPG feedback in a car; at least there it can advise you if you're driving like a fuel sucking pig or not. Part of the reason why there's no real time feedback for actual a/c performance is that it requires several real time data points be collected simultaneously, which nobody has any sustained interest in setting up and monitoring in an installed system. So instead there's a tiered rating system called SEER, and even with completely matched systems, it is ductwork, end user preferences, and marginal to no maintenance that keep most systems from approaching their nominal SEER ratings.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Motoguy, I think your autocorrect on your Droid Razr is going bat poop crazy.

As I just said in another post, the sad thing about SEER is that nobody can practically measure real time SEER on an installed unit. It's not like MPG feedback in a car; at least there it can advise you if you're driving like a fuel sucking pig or not. Part of the reason why there's no real time feedback for actual a/c performance is that it requires several real time data points be collected simultaneously, which nobody has any sustained interest in setting up and monitoring in an installed system. So instead there's a tiered rating system called SEER, and even with completely matched systems, it is ductwork, end user preferences, and marginal to no maintenance that keep most systems from approaching their nominal SEER ratings.
    Coundnt't agree more with you. Seer is like mpg in a car. If rated for seer rating on heat pump you also have to look at the hspf to give you performance numbers in heat mode.

Both are important but are tested under perfect conditions in a lab. In the real world you put any system on undersized ductwork, oversize the equipment or don't maintain the system seer goes out the window.

I have seen 16 seer units that are not getting the rated seer due to the above. So the customer pays for for less unless the system is sized properly and placed with a proper sized duct system to supply and return the rated cfm/btu's of the equipment.

More times then not this doesnt happen and rules of thumbs for sizing systems, ductwork etc... Are used and the customer suffers the outcome.