Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
    No, both are 4-ton units.

im talking about when you look at them not the tonnage.

Thanks for the input from all. I think what Shophound describes may be what's going on in my case; today I had it set for 78 the entire day, but late in the afternoon (~6pm) I noticed it go to 80 while the A/C ran continuously. That's telling me it can't keep up with the heat (95 deg day here in DFW today). I'm going to schedule them back out to see what they can do.
    I agree with beenthere; your system may not be properly charged. Especially if it was installed during cool or cold weather.
    But if it IS properly charged AND has correct airflow (you can't have one without the other) you then have two choices; climb all over the installer about sizing, or do something to reduce the heat gain to the upstairs portion of your house. I also live in DFW, have most of my life, and know how things get built around here. Suffice it to say, most of the time, it's built pretty damn wrong for our climate. I've spent the last five years turning my 54 year old single story house from an uncomfortable, energy guzzling pig to a watt sipping, comfortable place to live. You just can't beat a cool roof and two stage a/c...I also had 95 degrees at my place...and that's how hot my attic got. A/C cycled all day long on first stage with thermostat set at 75.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    I also live in DFW, have most of my life, and know how things get built around here. Suffice it to say, most of the time, it's built pretty damn wrong for our climate.
    Whatever are you talking about?

What is wrong with knee walls exposed to the attic with only R-11 batts and wall studs exposed to the attic, unsealed floor truss ends allowing attic air to circulate between the floors, unsealed duct chases open to the attic, unsealed/uninsulated pull down attic stairs in the conditioned space, black composition roof shingles, 30+ non air tight light fixtures, indifferently air sealed R4 insulated ducts and air handling equipment located in the attic, and 2 or 3 powered attic ventilators?

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    im talking about when you look at them not the tonnage.
    Yea - actually, the condenser unit is larger than the old unit. What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    I agree with beenthere; your system may not be properly charged. Especially if it was installed during cool or cold weather.
    But if it IS properly charged AND has correct airflow (you can't have one without the other) you then have two choices; climb all over the installer about sizing, or do something to reduce the heat gain to the upstairs portion of your house. I also live in DFW, have most of my life, and know how things get built around here. Suffice it to say, most of the time, it's built pretty damn wrong for our climate. I've spent the last five years turning my 54 year old single story house from an uncomfortable, energy guzzling pig to a watt sipping, comfortable place to live. You just can't beat a cool roof and two stage a/c...I also had 95 degrees at my place...and that's how hot my attic got. A/C cycled all day long on first stage with thermostat set at 75.
    I'll ask them when they come back out tomorrow. Because the previous unit held the heat at bay, I am leaning towards something wrong with the new unit, but I'm sure there's things to fix with the house (built in 2000)

Yea - actually, the condenser unit is larger than the old unit. What does this mean?
    generally better equipment, more efficient equipment will have more surface area to remove heat, but not always is the new stuff as big as the old stuff.....As stated i would start with a Superheat/subcool reading (system charge), I personally would like to see a temperature split on the coil, or what we call a delta t. the target at the coil should be somewhere around 20. it can be done at the registers and return but it would be far less accurate. but chances are if the tech finds it low he will charge it to spec (hopefully) and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post

What is wrong with knee walls exposed to the attic with only R-11 batts and wall studs exposed to the attic, unsealed floor truss ends allowing attic air to circulate between the floors, unsealed duct chases open to the attic, unsealed/uninsulated pull down attic stairs in the conditioned space, black composition roof shingles, 30+ non air tight light fixtures, indifferently air sealed R4 insulated ducts and air handling equipment located in the attic, and 2 or 3 powered attic ventilators?

Oh the knee walls in my area are no diffrent! The customer/contractor will have a insulation contractor blow the walls and attic with insualtion but batt the knee walls with R-11-13 and say its done right?

Knee walls or for that matter second floor exterior walls that are exposed to the attic are the hottest walls In the home but recive the lowest insulation for the cavity? Makes no sense what so ever! I agree with your thoughts and wish more hvac companies, general contractors, insualtion companies and customers would pay more attention to this areas.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post

Oh, since you put it THAT way...nothing at all!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-23-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Sounds like the system is oversized anyway. A 7f drop on a 95f day in most climates should take over 8 or 10 hours to recover But it only needs low stage to maintain 75f in those conditions.

As mentu setbacks don't save. You must deferred all your runtime to the hottest and least efficiency operating conditions. Small setbacks make sense with time of use metering, but that's about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

StarCat, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    generally better equipment, more efficient equipment will have more surface area to remove heat, but not always is the new stuff as big as the old stuff.....As stated i would start with a Superheat/subcool reading (system charge), I personally would like to see a temperature split on the coil, or what we call a delta t. the target at the coil should be somewhere around 20. it can be done at the registers and return but it would be far less accurate. but chances are if the tech finds it low he will charge it to spec (hopefully) and call it good.
    The tech just left. He determined the issue to be either an overcharge or a faulty TXV meter, as he read a wavering temperature split when he plugged in his device. He tried releasing some freon to bring the charge down, but it didn't fix the readings so he's called for a new TXV meter install tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the problem, will update tomorrow after complete.

The tech just left. He determined the issue to be either an overcharge or a faulty TXV meter, as he read a wavering temperature split when he plugged in his device. He tried releasing some freon to bring the charge down, but it didn't fix the readings so he's called for a new TXV meter install tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the problem, will update tomorrow after complete.
    he just released some freon? he didnt put it in anything?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast