Thread: Freon mysteries

Freon mysteries

...so i was doing some work on a central unit and the guy had a big wall AC sitting in the front yard.
    i said "want me to get rid of that for you?"
    he said "go ahead , it doesn't work"

took it home , 2.3 ton ,
    i don't see a date but it looks new,
    run it a few times, sure as hell never got cold.
    everything mechanical was working, had to be a freon leak.
    i picked a spot near the top and cut into the system , maybe some freon came out but i thought at the time it was bone dry.

brazed in a valve , pulled a vacuum.
    i left it under vacuum for at least 2 days.
    looked at my guages, i didn't notice any drop, thought that was odd.
    due to the cigar smell i had to use coil cleaner about 4 times, each time i tried to look for leaks with soap, found nothing.

maybe the bottom of the evap coil had oil on it, but it could have been water discoloration.
    i saturated the bottom of noth coils with soap trying to find the leak

i charged it up to full and used a sniffer, found nothing.

i've had it for about 3.5 years.
    just fired it up, 23+ degree split.

was the leak on the main line and it covered it up when i brazed the valve in?
    unlikely.

did LG put enough freon in it?

Speaking of cutting into to things not knowing if they contain refrigerant in them, my experience was that I had a reach in cooler in the shop that needed to be dismantled and takin to the metal bin, well I asked my co-worker if the refrigerant was all recovered, he said "yes, that unit had a leak remember?" So I ignorantly assumed that it would be empty so I took a pair of side cutters and proceeded to cut the condenser coil out, Well what do ya no, it was full of refrigerant and I thank god to this day that I did not get a blast of liquid refrigerant to the face, I dont think I have ever moved that fast in my life. The lessons I learned that day is do not trust anyone but yourself when it comes to personal safety, always wear PPE, and always check for charge before cutting into a system. If there are no service ports use a line piercing valve. I will never ever make that mistake ever again, I am just happy I did not get injured to learn that lesson.

But your story is quite the mystery lol.

Reminds me of a Frigidaire unit my grandparents bought for their family room. That thing NEVER blew cold air at all, the compressor was running, but it just felt like the fan was blowing. Thankfully they moved and left the unit behind, but I couldn't understand a brand new unit not cooling

Quote Originally Posted by RACMT View Post
    Speaking of cutting into to things not knowing if they contain refrigerant in them, my experience was that I had a reach in cooler in the shop that needed to be dismantled and takin to the metal bin, well I asked my co-worker if the refrigerant was all recovered, he said "yes, that unit had a leak remember?" So I ignorantly assumed that it would be empty so I took a pair of side cutters and proceeded to cut the condenser coil out, Well what do ya no, it was full of refrigerant and I thank god to this day that I did not get a blast of liquid refrigerant to the face, I dont think I have ever moved that fast in my life. The lessons I learned that day is do not trust anyone but yourself when it comes to personal safety, always wear PPE, and always check for charge before cutting into a system. If there are no service ports use a line piercing valve. I will never ever make that mistake ever again, I am just happy I did not get injured to learn that lesson.

But your story is quite the mystery lol.
    I always nick with a hacksaw first even if i know theres no gas in ,seen a coworker getting a very nasty burn when he cut into system he thought was pumped down .He locked out the case with its own valves but the expansion valve was faulty so liquid line was still full.