Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Somebody on here gave me the idea a few days ago and an opportunity presented itself today to maybe try it.

The subject is Norlake 40º walk-in. About 6' by 6' with what looks like a 1/3HP tin can compressor on it. OK; so maybe it's a 1/2 HP. <g>

The same sized freezer actually does have a 1/2 HP on it - but at least the freezer has an iron body compressor on it.

So anyway; on the 40º walk-in the defrost timer is defective - so the evap was frozen. Temp control is with a standard Penn remote bulb. I can't get enough differential to get away with just sticking that bulb into the fins - so how about a Ranco constant-cut-in stat? They are rated for 16 amps so the compressor load is OK for it.

Can anybody see a reason why I Can't just resolve this coil freezing issue with a constant-cut-in control stat? And not bother replacing the timer.
    We've been using them as constant-cut ins for years. We prefer the Emerson 16E09 stats... handles 3 voltages, a bit longer (and extendable) sensor & their "power stealing" switch makes wiring easier.

I've been watching for adverse effects (moisture-pumping product) from excessive temp swings, but nothing yet.

The a 419 has a remote sensor available

PHM
    I do it all the time. Just cover as much coil as you can. (use all the cap tube)

KE2 > ETC. jus sayin.

only downfall to them is the lack of a second double throw relay for heaters. Only will wire in for a air defrost, or hot gas.

but otherwise awesome little digital stats. replaced the ETC on truck stock with it. 70 bucks cheaper too. way to go for a quick fix on med temp walkins with faulty clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    I wanted to try a Ranco constant cut in more or less as a test. In my job, I can get away with this as an in-house guy.
    dont you just love being able to use the bosses equipment for your own testing and schooling

oh whoops , that little mod didnt work out well

Quick hide it !

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Somebody on here gave me the idea a few days ago and an opportunity presented itself today to maybe try it

im sure the idea was already buried down in them poodle curls , we just had to comb it out

How can a KE2 be $70. less than an ETC ?

I don't think I even pay $70. total for an ETC.

Oh wait; do they pay you to take the KE2 ? <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by pr0dukt View Post
    KE2 > ETC. jus sayin.

only downfall to them is the lack of a second double throw relay for heaters. Only will wire in for a air defrost, or hot gas.

but otherwise awesome little digital stats. replaced the ETC on truck stock with it. 70 bucks cheaper too. way to go for a quick fix on med temp walkins with faulty clocks.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

LOL how do you pay less than 70 for an ETC? Who at thermal corporate is your boss suckin off? Because we get discounts on most controls Ranco put out and that one is still like 120 for us. We get the KE2 at like 50. Steal considering all it can do and factory warranty.

I just called to check for you:

My cost: $63. + some change + the sales tax.

So maybe $70. out-the-door.

I am very charming in person, so maybe that's it? <g>

PHM
    -------

LOL how do you pay less than 70 for an ETC? Who at thermal corporate is your boss suckin off? Because we get discounts on most controls Ranco put out and that one is still like 120 for us. We get the KE2 at like 50. Steal considering all it can do and factory warranty.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I just watch the fliers for sales....
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

I've run into this in the past, and found Ice-Up was due to unit running and never getting to cut-off point of control. If it never turns off it will never defrost. Some of those small units have border-line capacity right from the factory,or theyr'e located in a hot kitchen with the door constantly open etc. Just my2c.

Dude its time to start shopping around! A quick search came up with some for $45.00, and he shows over 1800 sold. (Not that I have ever bought one from him). But yeah... I think we get them for about $60 from supply house..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANCO-ETC-11...item2ebb28f4b3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12