Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Use a constant cut-in on a Norlake walkin ?

Somebody on here gave me the idea a few days ago and an opportunity presented itself today to maybe try it.

The subject is Norlake 40 walk-in. About 6' by 6' with what looks like a 1/3HP tin can compressor on it. OK; so maybe it's a 1/2 HP. <g>

The same sized freezer actually does have a 1/2 HP on it - but at least the freezer has an iron body compressor on it.

So anyway; on the 40 walk-in the defrost timer is defective - so the evap was frozen. Temp control is with a standard Penn remote bulb. I can't get enough differential to get away with just sticking that bulb into the fins - so how about a Ranco constant-cut-in stat? They are rated for 16 amps so the compressor load is OK for it.

Can anybody see a reason why I Can't just resolve this coil freezing issue with a constant-cut-in control stat? And not bother replacing the timer.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I work on a few of those little norlakes and they have factory installed constant cut ins. Every one works great.

Personally i like the use of an ETC with the sensor mounted in the fins. I like the johnson A419 because i can set it up with a time delay to protect compressor from short cycling. I usually set my temps at 22 and with 15 differential. I have used this setup hundreds of times and it works like a charm consistently giving me 35 degree box temp. If you wanted to get fancy i saw a new ke2 etc that has the ability to program defrost into it. Have not use d one yet nor do i know the cost.

So when replacing something like his penn or a constant cut in with an a419 you would need to add some wiring? Those stats only have a wire in and out breaking a circuit. Looks like a419 needs a circuit with neutral also. How are u modifying wiring to install these? I do like the anti short cycle feature

I pull my old stat wires back into control section. i mount the etc in desired place. my old stat wired are my no contact and common. and then i use a piece of sj cord and feed my power to my etc from my line voltage connection. I run my sensor to my evap and mount inside the coil and program and test. works great and is super easy.

So you are saying just run your hot/neutral or hot/hot for 208 from incoming power source to condensing unit, then take the two connections currently on a cold control/pressure control and use those to wire to the n.o. Relay points if i am understanding right?

yup

Sounds like a good set up. The a 419 does have alot of features a cold control don't . Is reliability good. I just don't trust the electronic as much as a good ol ranco a12-1506. It is 2013 though, so probably time to start trusting them!

What about when you need a longer wire run- can you add a say 20 foot length of wire to temp sensor without reading getting messed up?

they are pretty reliable. in regards to adding wire to extend your sensor you should be able to but i dont understand why you would need to add 20 ft

I worked on a walk in the other day that had one mounted at remote condensing unit next to time clock. Evap was about 30 feet away inside. I noticed sensor wiring had been lengthened

Hey PHM, with all of the talk of the Ranco constant cut-in this week, I decided to give it a try on an older R12 walk-in I service. An icing evap was a common problem likely due to heat leak and employee improper use. I am running R409 in it now.

I installed the A12-701 on Weds morning. Cut in at 41F, min cut out at 15F. I have it holding at 37F as of this morning. I decided against the A12-700, felt that it would run too cold. (range 37F-11F) I only need below 37F--39F in my units. I'll know more next week.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Personally i like the use of an ETC with the sensor mounted in the fins. I like the johnson A419 because i can set it up with a time delay to protect compressor from short cycling. I usually set my temps at 22 and with 15 differential. I have used this setup hundreds of times and it works like a charm consistently giving me 35 degree box temp. If you wanted to get fancy i saw a new ke2 etc that has the ability to program defrost into it. Have not use d one yet nor do i know the cost.
    The A419 is a really nice temp controller. I also like the Ranco ETC111-000. Not as nice a display but does all else well without all of the jumpers. I use this unit for most of my repairs. But this week, wanted to try a Ranco constant cut in more or less as a test. In my job, I can get away with this as an in-house guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast