Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Amana vs Carrier HVAC systems?

My furnace blower motor (a 2005 Heil) went out yesterday and my HVAC company recommended replacing it with a Amana. I know that Amana is made by Goodman, which has had a shaky quality reputation, so I was wondering if I should get an estimate by a Carrier dealer as well.

My primary concerns with a new system would be quiet operation and more efficient heating and cooling of our upstairs, which is very uneven right now.

Any thoughts about Amana quality and if Carrier (or another brand) would be better? Thanks!

Post Likes
    Just to make this more difficult... [grin]...

The uneven heating and cooling is more the ductwork than the equipment...

Knowing this going in... will help you understand what needs to be done to reach those goals.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

3. Likes Jack Benny, kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yeah, I've found that out recently. We just moved into the house in May and found out that the to main dampers were partially closed all summer. Hello $275 cooling bills.

Post Likes
    Amana has a licensing agreement with Goodman/Daiken. Daiken a Japanese International Corporation bought out Goodman some 4-5 years ago. Amana has probably the best or 2nd best manufacture warranty. 1st possible being Daiken. While many Manufactures offer a limited lifetime Heat Exchanger Warranty to the original owner once product is registered Amana gives a whole new furnace if HX fails to original owner registered product on many of their models.

You can also purchase a extended labor warranty from Amana that's backed by Amana, do not know if the Carrier extended labor warranty is backed by UTC/ Carrier or its through a 3rd party.

Parts between those two companies are probably not that much difference, as most parts are bought from vendors.

Nothing wrong with the Carrier thou, I'm sure most responses here will tell a proper install following manufacture spec. on start up and install is more important than brand.

6. Likes Jack Benny, HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes

So that salesman recommended replacing your
    11 year old furnace?
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

8. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well, he said that he could replace the blower motor for ~$, but that the system was likely on its last leg (the last owners hadn't maintained it very well).
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-26-2016 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    This page is good advise... install is more important than brand...

On the pet issues... proper nutrition, sometimes, can lower allergy symptoms...
    However letting go of 'comfort food' is sometimes more punishment than the coughing and sneezing...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Post Likes
    I'll bet the guy who recommended replacing an 11 year old furnace also told you a new unit would solve the balancing problem.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    I'll bet the guy who recommended replacing an 11 year old furnace also told you a new unit would solve the balancing problem.
    Of course. Probably said 2-stage and or variable speed will fix it.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

14. Likes johoff34 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benny View Post
    My furnace blower motor (a 2005 Heil) went out yesterday and my HVAC company recommended replacing it with a Amana. I know that Amana is made by Goodman, which has had a shaky quality reputation, so I was wondering if I should get an estimate by a Carrier dealer as well.

My primary concerns with a new system would be quiet operation and more efficient heating and cooling of our upstairs, which is very uneven right now.

Any thoughts about Amana quality and if Carrier (or another brand) would be better? Thanks!
    ZIP

2 Age and size of residence

2a 1st Floor Sq Feet ____
    2b 2nd Floor Sq Feet ____

Current system size
    ... Furnace
    ... A/C
    ..... Photos of nameplates

4 Current
    a Air Flow
    b dP across Air Handler
    c Temperature across Air Handler
    ( if available from previous service)

a Location of Furnace
    b # of diffusers ( vents) on 1st Floor
    c #...".......".........." ... on 2nd floor

d Temperature differences between floors

Ductwork enhancement plan will be quite difficult to develop and install
    given THIS IS A REPLACEMENT

BRYANT or similar
    http://www.bryant.com/bryant/en/us/p...furnaces/987m/

Slow Speed = Quiet [ air distribution - ??]
    http://www.bryant.com/bryant/en/us/p...ioners/189bnv/
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benny View Post
    Yeah, I've found that out recently.

We just moved into the house in May and found out that the to main dampers were partially closed all summer. Hello $275 cooling bills.
    Closing dampers EVEN PARTIALLY
    ........................... 1 Decreases overall COOLING Output
    ........................... 2 Decreases ability to achieve adequate air flow to area with most restrictive air flow path
    ........................... 3 Increases operating cost
    ........................... 4 Increases motor Power requirements and
    ............................... DECREASES MOTOR LIFE.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Let me guess......
    New equipment but ducts will remain as-is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast