Hmm Conflicting adivce from HVAC installers-Can Lennox & Heil play nice together?

I currently have a Lennox 5 ton heat pump and furnace using a honeywell mini 3 zone system. Every piece of hardware inside my Lennox heat pump as been replace and it is only 6 years old. Last summer, the compressor went out under the 5 year warranty and Lennox (after many long battles) sent a new one to replace the old one. I have had that compressor exactly 10 months - and it is now out. Seized up apparently. I am tired of Lennox - and so it my pocketbook. I haven't had any problems with the furnace though or the 3 zone system. My question is this:

I have had 3 HVAC companies out and they all have different concepts of "fixes" - no one will replace just the compressor, since no one can figure out why it keeps failing and since it has failed you can't "test" it now to figure it out, so I can't even get a quote on that - but I hate my heat pump, so I don't really care about that.

Here is what I want to know:

I have been told even though the system is only 6 years old - I CANNOT put a different type of heat pump in and leave the Lennox furnace so I have gotten bids for a new Lennox heat pump (which I don't want) or an entire new system to replace just the broken compressor. Then I have a bid from a different company that says I can replace just the heat pump with a Heil 15 SEER R140A heat pump and keep my existing Lennox furnace.

Obviously, bids are ranging all over the place and I know I want a more reliable heat pump - no more Lennox. But - I also don't want to spend $$ for an entire new system if I don't have to - I have checked all over the internet and can't find anything that talks about mixing brands of heat pump/furnace - so I am asking if that is a possibility or a horrible idea?

Thanks for any help you might be able to through my way.

as long as you change the indoor coil and the outdoor unit you can use any brand you want with the Lennox furnace.

i would suggest you find someone very good at zoning to find out what is wrong with your system, don't blame it on Lennox if you are having that much trouble with your system. it is either a design or install issue.

I agree with t527ed...........you do not need a new furnace. Get rid of that salesman and bid. You just need a new matching Lennox heat pump and use the existing coil (if the refrigerant is the same). A new coil would be needed if changing to a different brand of heat pump.

But, there is a reason the HP and the replacement compressor are failing prematurely. It could be the zoning isn't correct or a lack of return air. You need someone who cares to find out or you'll keep doing this over and over.

Unfortunately many salesmen just want to sell equipment (where the $$$ is) and don't want to or know how to find the problem with the failures.

I've heard someone here say, "compressors don't die, they're murdered".
    And it's usually from lack of air flow.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

The zoning system may be what is killing your Compressors.

Furnace brand doesn't have to be the same as the heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Compressors don't die they are killed
    Stud

Call me skeptical by nature, but before I'd make a move in any direction I'd want to know exactly what was causing the problems with the original HP.

As a salesman I would be taking the safest option by quoting an entirely new system because this way I had a lot better chance of removing and replacing anything that might have been the reason the first one had so many problems.

As a technician I would offer to actually find and prove to you what caused the failures (that's IF they were system related and not faulty equipment.... I agree with those above that say compressors don't die, they're killed 98% of the time). You're zoning system, air flow, incorrect refrigerant charge, poor initial installation of the refrigerant components that introduced contaminates into the system, problems with the electrical............ the list goes on and on.

The question is how much are you willing to pay to have things done in such a fashion that there will be no more problems? Top of that list should be whatever you get I would start my checklist with 10 year parts and labor warranty from the manufacturer and dealer.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Is it actually a gas furnace or an electric air handler? If gas then I agree will all of the above. If it's an air handler you want to replace both.

As beenthere stated it could be the zoning causing all the problems. A 5 ton system needs to move around 2000 CFM of air no matter if one zone is calling or all three are calling.

A 5 ton single stage heat pump run by a zoning system with 3 zones, and there is a question as to what is killing compressors?

Hint: It isn't Lennox's fault.

Does the indoor coil at lease have a TXV?

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    I've heard someone here say, "compressors don't die, they're murdered".
    And it's usually from lack of air flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The zoning system may be what is killing your Compressors.

Furnace brand doesn't have to be the same as the heat pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/Stud View Post
    Compressors don't die they are killed
    Stud
    +1
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Have the entire system evaluated for sizing and air flow before pulling the trigger on a new system. If it is an electric air handler change the whole system if it is gas furnace with HP just change the HP

Does this always happen during the heating season??? If it is I may know what it is..

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Is it actually a gas furnace or an electric air handler? If gas then I agree will all of the above. If it's an air handler you want to replace both.

As beenthere stated it could be the zoning causing all the problems. A 5 ton system needs to move around 2000 CFM of air no matter if one zone is calling or all three are calling.
    It is a electric furnance with heat pump - this is the system that came with the new construction house - so it could have been initial install - have been told I need to go to 16" ducts and have some damper work done also for better air flow. All I know is I have gotten bids for entire new Heil system, estimate fir new Lennox heat pump, and estimate for just new Heil heat pump and leaving existing Lennox furnance. Not sure which installer is right - and they all saw they can't troubleshoot it because no compressor, can't test the system.

How do you then make sure that much air is moving around?