Engineered air flame failure

Working on an engineered air model: dj-40 . Has a djm 3.4 controller. For the passed year the unit keeps locking out on flame failure, have had numerous guys changing the flame sensor on it. Odviously this isn't problem, my flame sensor is reading 1.7 micro amps.

Did notice when I first worked on this unit that blower wasn't moving very much air. Put new belt on and adjusted pulleys. Thought maybe had locked out from high limit.

Set point on unit is 15c and it fired for heat again last night and of course locked out again.

I'm new to MUA's , you guys have any suggestions? Someone said I should just change ignition module, but not sure that is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are the filters clean? May not trip the pressure switch but not feed enough air for the fire. Is it multi-stage and are the pressure correct?

Clean the entire burner assembly.
    Check all grounds.

Call engineered air.
    Their tech support is top notch.

does unit have a regulator? if it does check to make sure that the regulator vent isn't clogged

Is this direct fired in indirect fired?

What is your line (static and running) and manifold pressure. If you have the Maxi valve on there, they get really goofy below 5". Had the exact problem you were describing, but line gas pressure was at just over 6" static, and would hover right around 5" running, EA informed me they would not provide any more support until I corrected the inlet gas issue, I did, and have had no more issues.

When are you measuring the 1.7 flame signal, is this a modulating unit? If so, I usually get much higher on high fire, but 1.7 should be enough if its steady.

EA does have excellent tech support, if you can get through lol, that's the hard part

Where are you located (country, state/prov?).

Don't want to sound like a parts changer but....... Ignition modules are just not a lot of money! If all of the usual checks come up with nothing, I go for the module and ignition assembly in one Swoop! The parts Cost doesn't add up to half of a call back, And knowing those parts are new, in the event you do get called back you can move forward with not second-guessing the ignition system IMHO.
    I know the guy who know's the "Chiller Whisperer"

Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    Is this direct fired in indirect fired?

What is your line (static and running) and manifold pressure. If you have the Maxi valve on there, they get really goofy below 5". Had the exact problem you were describing, but line gas pressure was at just over 6" static, and would hover right around 5" running, EA informed me they would not provide any more support until I corrected the inlet gas issue, I did, and have had no more issues.

When are you measuring the 1.7 flame signal, is this a modulating unit? If so, I usually get much higher on high fire, but 1.7 should be enough if its steady.

EA does have excellent tech support, if you can get through lol, that's the hard part

Where are you located (country, state/prov?).
    Indirect fired. Actually did not check my gas pressure, guess that would be good idea, lol that's how new I am on hvac systems. It does have a maxi valve on it. This is modulating gas valve right? I am reading 1.7 when unit first fires.

I've left the heat off now as it is so hot, but am going to return. I did notice something strange with gas valve. Seems to be either a loose connection on valve or something wrong with it, when I move wires connecting to valve it starts clicking on / off. Was in a rush to get to another call , but think I may have found problem.

I am in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo83 View Post
    Indirect fired. Actually did not check my gas pressure, guess that would be good idea, lol that's how new I am on hvac systems. It does have a maxi valve on it. This is modulating gas valve right? I am reading 1.7 when unit first fires.

I've left the heat off now as it is so hot, but am going to return. I did notice something strange with gas valve. Seems to be either a loose connection on valve or something wrong with it, when I move wires connecting to valve it starts clicking on / off. Was in a rush to get to another call , but think I may have found problem.

I am in Ontario.

Lol, just wait til you start playing with their M-trac controller!

Sounds like you're on the right track though.
    Have a look at the flame, low gas pressure will give the flame a lazy appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo83 View Post

I am in Ontario.

Sounds like you may be on the right track.

Those units are all custom built to each application, so it may be modulation, or it may not. With a Maxi valve, its likely modulating. Does the unit have a fenwall ignition board on it? Where are you measuring your flame current?

Depending on your ignition system and where the flame signal is measured, and what input the machine was at, 1.7 may not be all that high, but the model # alone is not enough to tell that

Is this unit dropping out consistently? If so, it should be fairly easy to zero in on.

I am also in Ontario, so welcome, feel free to email me (address in profile) and I can give you the technical number for the guys in the GTA

Check the DJM board I had 1 that kicked my butt.Finally found pushing on the board in the right place would kill the pilot solenoid and lock out the burner. All it was is bad solder connections. Good Luck