no pics but faarghh!! DIY gone bad..

quick DIY friend of friend of friend helped me story..

got a call 3pm in a hot tx afternoon no cool , "friend told me there might be an issue in attic with power or something, dont remember.."

So get there , hot 120 degree attic system is a slow crawl 4oft from access hole and no platform.. unit has doors off pf a payne horizontal furnace, that was first eek moment.. someones been in this wiring, rats nest.. i push in door swicth, nothing, fuse has been replaced with mini but would work IF

one transformer wires for p1 and p2 on HUM and Test term.. on center of control board! what who did this? customer plays dumb, i put them in the correct place, push in door switch, weird only 15v , pull transformer, wtf its a universal 208/240 only transformer, really! this is a 120v furnace.. sell him a transformer , push in door switch and boom fuse glows like its on fire, put my resettable fuse in and go down to check tstat and od wiring, analog stat has all wires in correct spot except the Common which was on O and doesnt have aC terminal but that wire is on common going to furance! undo that wire and push in wall, od unit has missing cap on 24v wire and may or maynot have been touching wall capped it.. go back and test unit, starts working and no issues .

so put new fuse in and ran unit.. all working fine..

so i notice the outdoor cap, contactor was replaced and wires been spliced so many times on the 24v it barely reached unit, you can play guitar on it..

so they tried replacing a transformer, fuse, cap, and contactor and miswired the board and somehow it didnt burn board or stat..

i was hot tired and sweating buckets for 250 bucks! i should have charged more but most of this was diagnostics and not much parts so didnt have a heart to bend them over but later after i cooled off had remorse and should have charged them 600 to teach them a DIY lesson!

Some just get lucky I guess!
    Where are you at in DFW? I was raised in Garland.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Artietech View Post
    Some just get lucky I guess!
    Where are you at in DFW? I was raised in Garland.
    Arlington area..

Wow, got to love coming behind that kind of stuff, scary really.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall