Gibson 10 Year Warranty

Frown Gibson 10 Year Warranty

Hi guys and ladies,

Need bit of advice. Sold a Gibson system told customer it has 10 year warranty. Here to find out later Gibson does not warranty Dry R-22 units for ten years. After even calling them and asking gave model number and they said yes 10 year warranty. Now they are saying no only 5 . Should have got persons name I spoke to. Customer is very upset any suggestions??? Or how do you read there serial number on the 410 units.
    Thanks for any help ..... Ant/ac

No warranty means no warranty it all goes by serial number.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

I don't think anybody warrants dry units for over 5 years. Lucky they give you that much since they've been hacked on a mismatched coil.

The date code is after the 3 first letters.

Why are you selling an R22 full system? Why wouldn't you do right by your customer and sell them an R410? With being able to buy only a dry unit should tell you something, that maybe you aren't supposed to sell a system, but only repair components. Maybe you can install an R410 condenser and get Gibson to warranty it for 10 years? Sell the 22 one to somebody else down the line.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I don't think anybody warrants dry units for over 5 years. Lucky they give you that much since they've been hacked on a mismatched coil.

The date code is after the 3 first letters.
    All dry units I know of regardless of make and model only offer a 5 year warranty which is good IMO when paired with a older unit. It's a numbers game if one make and model is offering 5 year warranty all other will have to match this same or the bussiness will be lost.

Is it perfect? No it's not but better then nothing. Might want to consider offering a new R-410 a condenser with a R-410 a coil to get 10 year parts and coil. It's up to you either install the dry unit and accept it will only have a 5 year warranty or install a new R-410 a matched system with condenser and coil with 10 year warranty.

You might want to offer the upgrade and explain to the customer the misunderstanding or that you made a error in the warranty. Just be honest and let the customer choose.