Networked Zoning

Has anyone used this new zoning setup from honeywell....

http://hotfreshcool.com/product/netw...0iaq17f819.pdf

It's an Envirazone board with VisionPro IAQ Stats.

I was going to have 3 zones installed using a TZ4 board along with VisionPro Stats to control a New Rheem MOD as a 3 stage setup, but the last contractor to bid the system suggested this new setup.

The TZ4 board has a lot of flexibility as to how the stages can be controled (stat-time-% of zones calling), but I don't see all those options on the Envirazone board. The Envirazone literature I've read talks about the stats controlling the staging, along with P+I. I asked the HVAC Contractor and he "thinks" the new system is at least as flexible as the TZ4, but didn't sound 100% convincing. It looks to me like the stats control, and when the "system" senses a stage has reached 90% capacity it bumps up to the next stage. Is this correct?

This system seem like the cats ass, but will it do as good a job on controlling zoning along with staging as the TZ4 board, or does it do a better job.

Thanks

Frank

Does look like a lot of bells & whistles.

I just went to a class on Jackson's Z600 board. Many of the features of the TZ4 with some extras.

Big thing that impresses me is staging. Can be done either by stat or timer BUT you can tell it to limit staging unless so many zones are calling. Not like the TZ4 with % of zones but flat out how many have to be calling to stage. If you want to stage by timer, set it to 10 or 15 minutes and tell it how many zones must be calling to allow. Or you can turn the timer off and use staging by stats. Put a single stage stat on a small zone so if that zone(s) is calling you never go beyond 40% fire on the Mod. On a big zone, use a 2 stage stat so it can call for high if it and however many other zones are calling.

It does lack the IAQ features but if you put an IAQ stat on the main zone, you could wire the hum & dehum features straight from the module to the Mod's board.

www.jacksonsystems.com

So OH Bald One, do I understand this correctly, that the Jackson board would let me limit say..Zones 1 & 2 (the small ones) to 40% fire and then jump to 65% when Zone 3 (the big mother) called and then time to 100%.

What happens to the staging when zones 1 & 2 satisfy and 3 is still calling, does the furnace stay on the higher burn? What happens if Zone 3 calls and the other 2 don't?

According to the heat calcs a 65% burn will handle all three zones down to about 5 degrees and the 40% burn would handle the 2 small zones easy. Below 5 degrees it will need 100% fire.

My design temp is -12 and this is a 120,000 input mod BTW.

Thanks

Frank

I have also been considering the network zone controller. I actually had one on the counter at the parts supplier today, but they didnt have all of the components that I needed, and I would rather pick it up all together. I have a heat pump with a 2 stage furnace for back-up. Bald looney made a good point to set up the thermostats for the smaller zones as one stage stats. The way I understand it, the network controller will cycle the equipment according to what the thermostats tell it to do and the highest demand will take precedence. So if you have a large zone calling for 3 stages, 3rd stage will run no matter what the other zones are calling for.

Furthermore, Honeywell has special personal use pricing for contractors and the W8835A1004 panel can be purchased for $x!!!
    Last edited by jrbenny; 03-24-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: pricing

Quote Originally Posted by nashent1 View Post
    I have also been considering the network zone controller. I actually had one on the counter at the parts supplier today, but they didnt have all of the components that I needed, and I would rather pick it up all together. I have a heat pump with a 2 stage furnace for back-up. Bald looney made a good point to set up the thermostats for the smaller zones as one stage stats. The way I understand it, the network controller will cycle the equipment according to what the thermostats tell it to do and the highest demand will take precedence. So if you have a large zone calling for 3 stages, 3rd stage will run no matter what the other zones are calling for.

Furthermore, Honeywell has special personal use pricing for contractors and the W8835A1004 panel can be purchased for $xxx!!!

This is the residencial forum, no pricing allowed, edit out the price.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You can't pick which zones have to be calling, just the number of zones. If the big zone is the only one calling, even if it has a 2 stage stat and is calling for high, the panel will only allow low. If you put single stage stats on small zones, I'd then skip the capacity control feature and just let the stats decide. Or use the capacity control but say 2 zones have to call to get high. Really depends upon duct sizing. If the big zone can keep the 120K Mod off the panel's limit on high, then you could get by without the control on. If not, better at least require 2 zones before you get high. Easy to change so after putting it in, can experiment.

Envirazone Network Zoning

I have a dual fuel system (3H/2C). My HVAC contractor originally installed a TZ4 zone controller; however, it didn't communicate with the home automation. He came back and installed the Envirazone system w/Vision IAQ stats. Turns out that this the envircom zone controller does not support dual fuel. (Honeywell tech support verified this). Note: the stand alone Enviracom Equipment Interface module for stand-alone systems does work with duel fuel (I have this on another unit). Subsequently, my HVAC sub tried to add a dual fuel kit; but it is not working properly. I'm ready to tell him to take it back (final pmt still due). Any suggestions for 3H/2C dual fuel systems that interface with Home Automation either via RS232 or TCP/IP? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by woiei View Post
    Any suggestions for 3H/2C dual fuel systems that interface with Home Automation either via RS232 or TCP/IP? Thanks.
    Yes. The AprilAire 8870 Communicating tstats connect up to an RS-485 network that communicates with home and commercial automation systems. Pair up the 8870s with a suitable zone controller (like any of the above mentioned zone controllers), and you've got ability to computer control the tstats.

Before I had my HVAC system replaced last year with WaterFurnace equipment, I had 5 of the 8870 tstats with an appropriate zone controller (Enerstat 3+2) for conventional AC. My tstats were networked into an RS485 network with a dedicated processor home automation system. Room lighting and HVAC control was based on room occupancy, room light intensity level, time of day, outside temperature, etc.

The 8870s are used in AMX, Crestron, and similar commercial applications. They are heat pump compatible.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bill