Upgrade to 3 ton from 2.5?

Greetings,
    I am about to replace my upstairs unit (10yrs old Air King), it is a 2.5 ton 10 SEER. I have been quoted for a new 15 SEER 2.5 ton, and a 3 ton 16 SEER (2 stage). There is a $ difference. Is it worth the difference? It is about 2000 sq. ft. upstairs (guessing).

Second question, with the new system, should I go with the wifi thermostat, or get a new NEST thermostat?
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-25-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Price

the system should be sized to the heat gain and latent capacity of your house, with the number of occupants in it. going to a 3 ton is only wise if you have added square footage, or windows, or if the system never cooled the space in the past. and even then, only if the ductwork is PROPERLY sized and sealed for complete air delivery.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

WHY are you looking into replacing a 10 year old unit in the Middle of the Summer?

I would be investigating True Upgrade replacement in Fall or Spring.
    Bigger may be a downgrade for all I know at the moment.

Heat pump is a REAL Option for GA.
    / likely < 2,900 Heating degree days

How is the Relative Humidity?
    .. < 48% consistently?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

I don't see extreme Southern conditions in western GA.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    WHY are you looking into replacing a 10 year old unit in the Middle of the Summer?

I would be investigating True Upgrade replacement in Fall or Spring.
    Bigger may be a downgrade for all I know at the moment.

Heat pump is a REAL Option for GA.
    / likely < 2,900 Heating degree days

How is the Relative Humidity?
    .. < 48% consistently?
    The compressor is bad. It had a short, which the tech found and repaired. He discovered it had a "booster" installed on it- indicating past problems, and also it is pulling 108 amps at startup. We have been surviving on fans, but hotter days are a comin.

I guess I failed to mention, it is a heat pump split system. At night, the upstairs (all bedrooms are upstairs) is about 80 degrees. When the temp was in the 90's outside, the inside was that at night when trying to sleep. We have been using windows and individual pedestal fans with one exhaust fan running. Come the middle and end of July, it may be unbearable.