Installing new mini split to existing line set

Hi,

I'm completing a remodel, and am looking at options for air conditioning. I had installed a 25' line set (1/4" x 1/2") last year in anticipation of having a mini-split heat pump installed. This size was used per the advice of a HVAC technician. According to my engineer, I will only need about 12k BTU for my application. Since then, I'm finding that the most common line set for high SEER heat pumps of that size is 1/4" x 3/8". This is discouraging, as I would like to go for higher efficiency from the start.

The question is, can I use the existing installed line set for the high efficiency models? If not, is there a manufacturer with mini splits higher than 13 SEER that would work?

I am not installing this unit myself, BTW, but I have learned throughout my remodel to not trust a single contractor's opinion on a matter. Once I've done the research, I will have a licensed HVAC professional provide and install the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by PBrazelton View Post
    Hi,

I'm completing a remodel, and am looking at options for air conditioning. I had installed a 25' line set (1/4" x 1/2") last year in anticipation of having a mini-split heat pump installed. This size was used per the advice of a HVAC technician. According to my engineer, I will only need about 12k BTU for my application. Since then, I'm finding that the most common line set for high SEER heat pumps of that size is 1/4" x 3/8". This is discouraging, as I would like to go for higher efficiency from the start.

The question is, can I use the existing installed line set for the high efficiency models? If not, is there a manufacturer with mini splits higher than 13 SEER that would work?

I am not installing this unit myself, BTW, but I have learned throughout my remodel to not trust a single contractor's opinion on a matter. Once I've done the research, I will have a licensed HVAC professional provide and install the unit.
    When you decide on the contractor and Brand of system, have them contact the factory for their blessing.
    That way you will not have a warranty problems. If they say change the lineset, then change it....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

That is what I'm hoping to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    When you decide on the contractor and Brand of system, have them contact the factory for their blessing.
    That way you will not have a warranty problems. If they say change the lineset, then change it....
    Right, thus my question - what brand/models would be recommended? Every HVAC company I've contacted appear to be locked into one or two manufacturers, which means that if I choose a contractor first, my choices are dramatically reduced.

As for changing the line set, that will not happen, as it would require several walls and a ceiling being opened. I will use a lower efficiency model if necessary, but my wife's tolerance for remodeling has come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by PBrazelton View Post
    Right, thus my question - what brand/models would be recommended? Every HVAC company I've contacted appear to be locked into one or two manufacturers, which means that if I choose a contractor first, my choices are dramatically reduced.

As for changing the line set, that will not happen, as it would require several walls and a ceiling being opened. I will use a lower efficiency model if necessary, but my wife's tolerance for remodeling has come to an end.

Unfortunately what you want and what the factory requires are 2 different things.
    1/4” & ½” Good Luck.

Check Panasonic, 1 ton from them call for 1/4 x 1/2. We just did a 1 ton cool only inverter with that size. I think it was 17 SEER. Nice unit.

Panasonic took over from Sanyo, one of the old names in the mini biz.