Thread: Old problem finally solved

Post Likes

Old problem finally solved

Hey guys, just looking for some info but I've posted about this before and was an ongoing problem.

Slow leak in Freon, tech would come gas and run, I questioned to the point he wouldn't come back. Changed techs, this one found one leak and thought that was it till it happened again, and again, couldn't find leak so turned into gas and run. Finally I asked the tech which is a neighbor lets go over it again, this time he found it; coil is leaking and leak can't be fixed.

So that's my first question is that true, coil has to be replaced and leak can't be patched?

Second
    $ for the coil sound about right?

Third
    Here's the other threads:
    Code:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?615852-HELP!-AC-just-keeps-running/page3&highlight=kirk1701%99
    As you can see this was 2010 and problem was going on here for 2 or 3 years at this point. Unit was under warranty at the time it started so is there a chance since it started when it was under warranty and no one would fix it, could it still be covered under the warranty even though its out of warranty now?

Code:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1202281-Continuing-Issue-loses-Fron-won-t-heat-cool/page2&highlight=kirk1701%99
    Code:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1255491-Furnace-blowing-cold-air&highlight=kirk1701%99
    Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-20-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Best to edit your price out otherwise a moderator will. As far as warranty, all you can do is ask. I would call out the original installer and start there.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    I don't see the option to edit the thread but what I'm asking is if that price is what I should expect for a coil?

Post Likes
    I'm pretty sure giving advice on specific pricing is not allowed. But as to whether your coil can be repaired...

Before you can repair a leaking coil, you have to determine the location(s) and type of leak(s) you have in your coil. In some cases this requires the removal of the coil from the system. In other cases it can be repaired in place.

It is generally accepted that if a coil has to be removed in order to complete the diagnosis and initiate a repair, that a replacement coil should be considered.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Best to edit your price out otherwise a moderator will. As far as warranty, all you can do is ask. I would call out the original installer and start there.
    The original installer is the one who got where he wouldn't come back???
    I have my suspicions on whether the coil got swapped with a bad one while he was servicing the unit when it was under warranty, he knew what was wrong and didn't want to find it. Then when the unit was out of warranty he wouldn't come back because we would say this problem goes back to when it was under warranty and should be covered even if you yourself have to eat the price.

Quote Originally Posted by penderway View Post
    I'm pretty sure giving advice on specific pricing is not allowed. But as to whether your coil can be repaired...

Before you can repair a leaking coil, you have to determine the location(s) and type of leak(s) you have in your coil. In some cases this requires the removal of the coil from the system. In other cases it can be repaired in place.

It is generally accepted that if a coil has to be removed in order to complete the diagnosis and initiate a repair, that a replacement coil should be considered.
    Yes, he had to remove the coil from the system to actually find the leak.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk1701™ View Post
    I don't see the option to edit the thread but what I'm asking is if that price is what I should expect for a coil?
    Neither prices, nor pricing questions re permitted here.

If you want to know if its a good price. Get quotes from other contractors in your area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Neither prices, nor pricing questions re permitted here.

If you want to know if its a good price. Get quotes from other contractors in your area.
    Yea I gathered that much after I posted but couldn't edit it out.

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in