Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increased SEER Rating with VA AH

I recently had a 14 SEER Trane XB14 HP installed along with the Variable Speed TAM7. Can you confirm for me that the addition of the VS AH increases the SEER to 15?

Thank you!

Look it up in the AHRI ratings. You just have to put in model numbers of the outside unit and it will give you a list of combinations. go through the list, find yours and compare to others on the list.

The XB14 is 16 SEER and 13EER with the TAM7 for all typcial matches in lcuding some where the airhandler size is "undersized" to the outdoor unit.. whcih delivers lower capacity but likely much better dehumidification, so it might be a good option in a lot of climates.

Motoguy128,

I just checked the model number of the XB14 and it is rated at 14 SEER. It was sold to me as a minimum of a 15 SEER total system as it did qualify for the rebate from the electric company. So if that is the case I am assuming a 14 SEER XB14 paired with the TAM7 should be rated at least at 15.

Your help is appreciated!

Give use the exact model numbers of your indoor and outdoor units and we will give you what your looking for.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by tampabay11 View Post
    Motoguy128,

I just checked the model number of the XB14 and it is rated at 14 SEER. It was sold to me as a minimum of a 15 SEER total system as it did qualify for the rebate from the electric company. So if that is the case I am assuming a 14 SEER XB14 paired with the TAM7 should be rated at least at 15.

Yes you could be correct? As said need model numbers of condenser and air handler to be for sure.

I will say that it can achive 15 seer and in some cases higher just depends on model numbers of the system.

Motoguy128,

As mentioned, you have to check it with the actual model numbers in the AHRI database. But as I said above, I looked up all of the common combinations, so unless they did something stupid and match a 5 ton unit with a 3 ton air handler, you should have 16SEER, 13EER... so even better.

So yes, it is most liekly a 15 SEER minimum. the "14" is a nominal number, when paired to a air handler or furnace with a standard effciency blower motor.

Honestly, mfg's should just give them more generic names like "gold", "silver", and "TCTWCPTFNCSTDCLTPBSSYBBX" (The cheapest thing we could throw together for new construction so the developer can line their pockets but still say you bought brand X). That way consumers might understand that it's not just a "box" they are buying, but a comstom installed system made up of typcially 5-7 components (condenser, lineset, thermostat/controller, ductwork, indoor unit (which could be a coil, furnace & TXV) or more components. Get one of those wrong, and you could have problems, minor or major.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Give use the exact model numbers of your indoor and outdoor units and we will give you what your looking for.
    jimj, Below are the model numbers.

XB14 4TWB4042G1000AA

Air Handler TAM7AOC42H31SBA

jimj, Below are the model numbers.

XB14 4TWB4042G1000AA

Air Handler TAM7AOC42H31SBA

I looked on Trane dealer connection. I did not find the model number for the outdoor unit but did find a 4TWB042B1000A. Which it close if not the same system.

The heat pump and air handler you posted shows to be 14 seer! Again the model number of the heat pump is a little diffrent but should be the same overall. Ask the dealer to supply you with the Ahri rated matchup number.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    I looked on Trane dealer connection. I did not find the model number for the outdoor unit but did find a 4TWB042B1000A. Which it close if not the same system.

The heat pump and air handler you posted shows to be 14 seer! Again the model number of the heat pump is a little diffrent but should be the same overall. Ask the dealer to supply you with the Ahri rated matchup number.
    I know the XB14 is 14 seer I thought that adding the TAM7 to it made it at least 15 seer. See the issue is that I selected a Trane dealer that will not return any calls, nor emails, and failed to show up on 2 occasions over the past 4 weeks. Out of all the good dealers out there I selected a bad one. I requested a 15 seer and unless the air handler gets me up to that point I got ripped off. I still think I got ripped off because over the phone I told them I wanted a 15 seer unit. (XB14) This entire situation with them has been bad.

This looks like it...15SEER
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    This looks like it...15SEER
    I really appreciate you confirming for me that my total seer rating is a 15! Thank you so much for your effort!

I know the XB14 is 14 seer I thought that adding the TAM7 to it made it at least 15 seer. See the issue is that I selected a Trane dealer that will not return any calls, nor emails, and failed to show up on 2 occasions over the past 4 weeks. Out of all the good dealers out there I selected a bad one. I requested a 15 seer and unless the air handler gets me up to that point I got ripped off. I still think I got ripped off because over the phone I told them I wanted a 15 seer unit. (XB14) This entire situation with them has been bad.
    My mistake I was looking a XB13 paired with the tam7 air handler. When you have a XB14 paired with a tsm7. So that was a oversite on my part.

With that out of the way then yes your current system shows a rating of 15 seer as others pointed out. So that's the good news. Bad news is you can't get into contact with your installing dealer? That's horrible customer service to say the least. You might want to go ahead a be looking for another Trane dealer that can fix under warranty any parts that may fail.

Better yet look at the contractors locater map on this site and see if anyone is near your area. Again I am sorry for the mixup on my part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast