Confused New Trane XR-15 Compressor Bad - Want to Replace Entire Condensor Unit

I just purchased a Trane XR-15 5-ton ac. According to the tech, the compressor is defective (sounds to me like the motor is off its internal mounts). Specifically, when it cycles off it sounds like a hammer hitting an empty metal garbage can, which is where the condensor unit belongs -- in the garbage. Since the system is less than 60 days old I want Trane to replace the condensor, not just the compressor. After all, I didn't pay $ to swap out my old unit, which worked just fine, for a rebuild ac system. The tech said he had to speak with his boss to see what HE WANTS TO DO.

My second issue with the XR-15 is its 10.5 EER and 14.5 SEER, which I discovered only after I applied for a rebate from the electric company. When I replaced in my home in Florida I was handed the "certificate" the day the unit was installed. Prices are much lower in Florida than in NW Arkansas. Now I'm mad because the new system is no better than the 13 year old unit it replaced. I was told by the sales person that the SEER on the 5-ton XR-15 was 15 -- NOT TRUE, even with a 2-speed 96 AFLUE gas furnace! If I can get the condensor replaced I would like to upgrade to a 15 SEER. Any recommendations.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-20-2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling

What's your model number? Only on Trane XR15 (5) ton straight cool can you get the same compressor as XR16-17 or XL16-18.

Which is a (2) stage compressor. The model number would read 4TTR5061 if this is the case though. You either have the 4TTR5061 with a (2) stage unloading compressor or a 4TTR5060 which is a single speed compressor.

I want defend Trane but I will. It could have been shipped defective, got damaged during deliver or installed wrong? Are all possiable if the last 2 happened then its not Trane's fault.

At the end of the day I understand that you are upset give the owner a little time to see what he can do or what he will do to resolve the issue. If he's a big Trane dealer then they might just send him/you another unit?

If it was my company I would make a call and have it resolved ASAP with another unit delivered ASAP or one in stock but this is left up to the dealer that installed the unit and Trane. I have been luckly with never had this happen does mean it can't it want.

As for the seer rating that between you, sales rep and owner. Do you have all the model and serial numbers off the new system installed? This will give us a better idea on what you have or don't have.

The model number for the condensor is 4TTR5061E1000BA. I understand that it is single speed. The coil is: 4TXCC008CC3HCBA. The furnance is: TUH2C100A9V5VBA

Shouldn't Trane replace the condensor unit as opposed to just the compressor. After all, I didn't pay for a "rebuild" system.

As for the upgrade, is that reasonabe and possible if I pay the difference?

Some brands change out the whole unit. Trane doesn't. You have a 10 year compressor warranty which replaces the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjas View Post
    The model number for the condensor is 4TTR5061E1000BA. I understand that it is single speed. The coil is: 4TXCC008CC3HCBA. The furnance is: TUH2C100A9V5VBA

Shouldn't Trane replace the condensor unit as opposed to just the compressor. After all, I didn't pay for a "rebuild" system.

As for the upgrade, is that reasonabe and possible if I pay the difference?
    Based on the that model number for in your post it should be (2) stage. 061 have always been that way unless something has changed. So you should have the same compressor as a XR16-17 and XL16-XL18 which is (2) stage. Ask your dealer to confirm though.

As for the compressor just depends but in your case they might only want to replace the compressor? Trane is the finally decider of this not the dealer.

As for me. If this were to happen to protect my reputation and the customer I would request another unit or some type of credit for the work. Again depends on Trane though!!!