Threaded View

Confused New Trane XR-15 Compressor Bad - Want to Replace Entire Condensor Unit

I just purchased a Trane XR-15 5-ton ac. According to the tech, the compressor is defective (sounds to me like the motor is off its internal mounts). Specifically, when it cycles off it sounds like a hammer hitting an empty metal garbage can, which is where the condensor unit belongs -- in the garbage. Since the system is less than 60 days old I want Trane to replace the condensor, not just the compressor. After all, I didn't pay $ to swap out my old unit, which worked just fine, for a rebuild ac system. The tech said he had to speak with his boss to see what HE WANTS TO DO.

My second issue with the XR-15 is its 10.5 EER and 14.5 SEER, which I discovered only after I applied for a rebate from the electric company. When I replaced in my home in Florida I was handed the "certificate" the day the unit was installed. Prices are much lower in Florida than in NW Arkansas. Now I'm mad because the new system is no better than the 13 year old unit it replaced. I was told by the sales person that the SEER on the 5-ton XR-15 was 15 -- NOT TRUE, even with a 2-speed 96 AFLUE gas furnace! If I can get the condensor replaced I would like to upgrade to a 15 SEER. Any recommendations.

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-20-2013 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling