Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If the sheet metal duct is not formed properly the metal will flex and cause a popping sound. Normally cross breaks are formed into the duct work to prevent this. A cross break is a crease in wall of metal duct to prevent metal from popping in and out when the duct work is pressurized and depressurized. If you could find the source of the sound you could possible reinforce the duct to stop the duct from flexing.
    I would not use window units. Look into getting a mini-split system. They are much quieter and not as ugly as window units. Mini-splits are also much more efficient.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Okay...here are the specs:

The outside unit:

Make: American Standard
    Mobel Number: 4TTB3036D1000BA

The inside unit:

Make: Nordyne
    Model Number: E3EB-012H
    Test ESP in W.C. - 0.30
    Output BTU: 41,000

The sticker on the wall in my bedroom reads:

37,600 max BTU duct system

The sound is localized. I hear the constant popping in the ducts and then the air handler itself. I am at my wits end. I will be going to window units if I can't come up with a solution. Too bad too considering the unit is only a year old.

Thanks for your help!

With an electric furnance in a M.H. I have to assume you are located in the south?
    An electric furnance is pretty easy to work with, even if you have to pull it.
    It may be a money thing on your part, but this is fixable....
    And yes we have replaced the ductwork in M.H.'s in the past (after floods).
    I am not too crazy about it, but it can be done....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

I am not worried about the money. However, I have yet to find ANYONE that will work on it. It's always the same answer..."It's expansion and contraction!" I just can't accept that. Not the way it continues over and over until the unit turns back on.

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    If the sheet metal duct is not formed properly the metal will flex and cause a popping sound. Normally cross breaks are formed into the duct work to prevent this. A cross break is a crease in wall of metal duct to prevent metal from popping in and out when the duct work is pressurized and depressurized. If you could find the source of the sound you could possible reinforce the duct to stop the duct from flexing.
    I would not use window units. Look into getting a mini-split system. They are much quieter and not as ugly as window units. Mini-splits are also much more efficient.
    And from what I hear...very expensive.

Couple of canvas connectors in the right spots should fix the problem by giving it something easier to flex than the tin

Quote Originally Posted by rockncountry101 View Post
    I am not worried about the money. However, I have yet to find ANYONE that will work on it. It's always the same answer..."It's expansion and contraction!" I just can't accept that. Not the way it continues over and over until the unit turns back on.
    It IS expansion and contraction. What else could be the cause? The question is only what to do about it, not to deny the cause.

Have you tried running the blower all of the time, as a test, to see if that reduces or stops the noise?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    It IS expansion and contraction.
    What else could be the cause?
    The family of groundhogs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Is the home property supported? Check for consistently leveled floors. Sometimes if it is sagging it will put unusual pressures on the ducting.

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    Is the home property supported? Check for consistently leveled floors. Sometimes if it is sagging it will put unusual pressures on the ducting.
    Do you mean the whole frame of the trailer might actually twist? no way!

I's defnitely possible for the cement bocks they use to level the trailers have settled.

It could be like my office trailer, the ductwork is so loose and crappy that it slides easily. Teh ductwork overhead allows lots of hot humid air in around the grills so on a humid day they are dripping on top of me (but at least not on my keyboard). Ductwork under the floors also make a excellent location for the mice to live, play and multiple. The cleaning crew removes the mouse turds at the back of my desk once a week... so it's fine. I love my trailer!

You should have addressed this when you first noticed it. The company that sold and set up your unit would have made it right. As for now, find a company that does work on mobile homes and have them fix it. It's not rocket science, most are just to lazy to go underneath and take the time to find and fix the problem. We do it all the time. They can start at the nearest floor register to the noise, remove it and inspect the duct system with a bore scope (flexible stalk camera).
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    You should have addressed this when you first noticed it. The company that sold and set up your unit would have made it right. As for now, find a company that does work on mobile homes and have them fix it. It's not rocket science, most are just to lazy to go underneath and take the time to find and fix the problem. We do it all the time. They can start at the nearest floor register to the noise, remove it and inspect the duct system with a bore scope (flexible stalk camera).
    I doubt anyone I've talked to even has a bore scope. Seriously, when I say mobile home, they run. Can you find the problem by scoping the ducts? I wouldn't think that the expansion/contraction would be visable.

I will say that it continues to pop WELL after the unit turns off. I do however like the idea of running just the blower. I may spend some time underneath to see if I can find the problem. I'll have to do it myself. I can't find anyone in this area that can find it. It is also intermittent so it's hard to just wait for it.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-21-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast