Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

is trane software completely proprietary

I have a few buildings that have this and do no have the software on my comp to dial these up and they want my company to spend thousands of dollars to by this. When I did johnson and KMC and other prgrams they were easily available. What is the story. All about the money I assume. If so this building is talking about gettin rid of this stuff.

any help would be great

Hoopstir

There are companies that have drivers for Trane proprietary protocols. Trane more recently has somewhat gone into open protocols but you need to know what you are looking at --- and so do we before some decent recommendations are made.

Are you talkin' Tracer Summit? If so then you're gonna have to buy a registered copy to dial these sites up. Why would your building owners complain about spending a couple grand for the software to accompany their EMS system as opposed to spending a couple hundred grand to change to a more "user friendly" brand?

You could also BacNet points out of the BCU if you didn't want to buy Summit, but you're gonna have to call TRANE out to create all the BacNet points you require.

-JB

If you do want to get tracer summit, you will have to have one of your accts purchase and register it, then you reimburse them. They will not sell it to contractors. I work for a large contractor, spend millions on their equipment and they still would not sell it directly to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopstir View Post
    I have a few buildings that have this and do no have the software on my comp to dial these up and they want my company to spend thousands of dollars to by this. When I did johnson and KMC and other prgrams they were easily available. What is the story. All about the money I assume. If so this building is talking about gettin rid of this stuff.

any help would be great

Hoopstir

Yes it is all about the money, software developement is not cheap. Sounds like someone is though. You should not have a problem getting your boss to purchase a legal copy of software to access his building automation systems. Even to pay 2-3 thousand for the software and to have Trane technician install it for you and give some training is a good deal.

I can not think of any manufacturer who does not charge for front-end software. Alerton, Johnson, Siemens, ALC, Carrier, Andover, etc all charge. The web stuff like Jace and ALC WebCTRL has the price adjusted into the initial hardware costs.

Quote Originally Posted by emmettair View Post
    If you do want to get tracer summit, you will have to have one of your accts purchase and register it, then you reimburse them. They will not sell it to contractors. I work for a large contractor, spend millions on their equipment and they still would not sell it directly to us.
    Ditto, same boat. We never get any help from our local office.

They refuse to sell Summit to contractors. It is a shame.

How stupid is your company? Why buy from them? Better yet, get your own control line and call them everytime you have a job and MAKE them comply with your requirements or go elsewhere.

Ther are two schools of thoughts on this matter - try to buy 2ton condensing unit from reputable supply house where they don't know you - most likely they are not going to sell it. they would like to establish an account as proof of your competency. You probably will be able to buy it from the web, but without warranty. On the other if competency was checked out OK, - i would not see any reason not to sell the product.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    How stupid is your company? Why buy from them? Better yet, get your own control line and call them everytime you have a job and MAKE them comply with your requirements or go elsewhere.
    In response to your posting, First, you must not be involved in multi-million dollar projects(or even small ones),everything is spec`d by the engineers/architects or the customer. What if a facility (school district,plant,hospital,etc.) builds a new building,addition,etc. and they currently have trane and want to stay with it or just want it-are you going to walk away???? When we do get a design/build project we obviously will recommend/push OUR control line-yes, we do have our own control line,equipment preference etc. We are also a ABCS contractor for johnson-have you tried to get support--good luck! Please let me know how you MAKE johnson "comply" (or any of the big boys), i`m sure theres alot of us that wants to know! Second, where ya gonna go, you must not know you don`t have many choices in heavy commercial/industrial equipment.
    Last edited by emmettair; 03-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Well who do you think the architect, customers and engineers are getting their specs from? The Trane guy thats out sucking their di$%!!!

In response to your posting, First you must not be involved in multi-million dollar projects(or even small ones),everything is spec`d by the engineers/architects or the customer. .

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Well who do you think the architect, customers and engineers are getting their specs from? The Trane guy thats out sucking their di$%!!!
    You got it! My point was its not that easy per sysint posting

I've kicked Trane off specs with alternates and have wiped them out of projects in school districts and buildings.

If the decision maker trusts you and you are being honest, it's not as hard as you think.

Ask yourself how many times you requested alternates.... I'm betting that's a fraction of the time I do.

.... Or even when it gets time to purchase Trane, do you ever think to ask the decision maker will that be their proprietary controller interface option or open? Solves alot of potential future problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast