Thread: Renovations

Renovations

Hi
    I have acquired an old home that has several old HVAC units that I have been told need to be replaced. It is obvious that they are quite old (>15 years)
    My question is how do I determine the best level of replacement unit in terms of the SEER. It is a large project and they have recommended replacing the (4) old units with six new ones
    As I review this online and talk to folks I have been told that the amount of cost to acquire the higher SEER units is difficult to recoup unless they last 15 or more years.
    Anything new will be more efficient than what is there but the new bells and whistles (variable speed units, inverter drive,etc) while intriguing leave me wondering if it will be worth the extra cost.
    Maybe there is a comfort factor in those special units I am not recognizing as well as a cost savings.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-22-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Perhaps a higher SEER unit for the 1 or 2 heavily used areas/floors. Regular 13 SEER for the rest.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?