Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is kicking my @$$

I have 2 reefer controllers that run good size systems I am having a IP chanllenge with.

These controllers are ip capable. In typical arrangement they connect through a ethernet switch, and then out to the site IT managed net. The IT gurus give me a vpn. I connect and get access to my stuff with my software.

At this site, I have a Static IP. The way it was, the ip was configured into both my controllers. I could get access remotely, with my software, but. Since both controllers have the same IP, thats no bueno. It fugs it up.

So I got a cheap router I carry. Try to config it to get static ip from ISP. No problem. Set up DHCP to my controllers, do DHCP reservation. No problem. Port forwarded. No problem.

I can not get to my router from remote.

What protocol?

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

If it is port 80, most ISP's block this port. Like KP said what protocol?
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Typical default router setup port in the WAN port is :8080

controller to it's children is rs485. Controller to controller and to the outside is IP.

Tried to open 8080. No Bueno.

controller to controller in my world is like supervisor to supervisor in your world. I think.

Even trying t open the router to remote management, on 8180, no bueno. WTF. IS my ISP "in" restricting. I think maybe. I can get out fine. I can not get in. I can ping the static. I can not get to the router.

router model

Post info about your router. If it's set with a static public IP, and you can ping it, then you should be able to turn on remote management. You then access the router by using
    Code:
    http://ipaddress:portnumber (or https)

So. Got up this AM. without understanding why, I got into the router with the IP and 8080. Remote management was not working last night. But here is a crazy deal. I logged in 3X. First 2, logged in and had full admin. 3rd time, using same credentials, not full admin but user. I think this router is $hit.

I may not have port forwarding set up just right for my software. So. Gonna get a nice router, and go from there. This router I am using is my junker I use that's in my back back. Sometimes I will set up on a system, so I don't have to be next to a loud machine or something. I have never really used this work router like this before. So this is why I may be a step off. I typically do not deal with this stuff, as most of my systems go on large lans managed by IT. I just configure my controllers after they give me IP's, subnets and DNS.

On this site, I am playing IT guru. But I will figure this out. And another feather in my cap.

This is a great site to test if ports are open http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Figuring out the router is a start but I think you are still going to have to correct the "both controllers have the same IP" problem as well.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

this is why the router. The router is set up to take in the static ISP IP. Then the router does DHCP to the two controllers. Then once DHCP is established I freeze the two IP's assigned in DHCP reservations. I need to make these static in order to do port forwarding. I actually got it to work half a$$ today. If I am on the network, and I point my software at the static ISP IP, and use the port in my software, the same port I am port forwarding, and the same one my controllers are looking to use, I can get into my controllers.

I just can not do it remotely. So then I scanned open ports on this ISP IP. Found a few open, tried that, but, what I found was, if I was remoting in on my phone 4g, the port was not available on my end. So it's just a mess. I think I have proven port forwarding is set up right. Since I was abe to get in while on the lan, using the isp ip, and port forwarded in the router. If I took the port forward off, it would not work. SO I think I am good there. Just not ports that are open in and out of the ISP and remote. I am about ready to say fug it.

Now I have to find a common open port in. And make sure when I am 50 miles away, I can find that same exact port opn as my out.

See if it were VPN, you actually get a spot on the LAN into the site. If i could do that, I am golden. This sit does not have a lan at all. Just my lan I made with this router.

I don't have anyone to really talk to. I have not done much with this stuff. Been reading a lot online. And. 3 days. Boss is starting to worry. LOL. He understands the difficulty but at some point I need to punt.

Since you would like to have a VPN, why not get a router that is flashed with DD-WRT (you can get one from e-bay for not much money), you can then switch on the VPN server in that.

But you should be able to do this without a VPN.

Never seen an ISP block more than a few ports, usually 80, 21, sometimes 8080.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

I guess I am lost on the simplicity of this setup...

This site you said has no network other than the router and switch with your two controllers. So you have sole access to the internet service for the site, hence why you were able to obtain the static IP.

The question some of the above asked that is REALLY important and will assist in giving you a permanent solution you can duplicate on future sites is: What protocol is your equipment using?
    OR
    What I am wanting to know is... what brand/model of controllers are these?

IF I had this situation with a BACnet controller I would make sure the two controllers had reserved or static internal IP addresses, make one of them a BBMD router. DONE.

But you mention the words like 'controllers' and 'software', but without brand names, manufacturers or model numbers... we really can help you much.

Good luck!

I have left out the manufacturer assuming your not familiar. I have never met an hvac controls guy who knows my stuff. But. Computer Process Controls / Emersen Retail Solutions. Software: Ultrasite. Supermarket refrigeration specific.

RS485 on I\O net. TCP/IP Peer to Peer.

I found the problem. About really ticked me off. Something else really hungry for band width using the same static IP which I was told 3 fuggen times it was a dry IP. There was a $ hit ton of traffic and a whole mess of data packets colliding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast