Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Question UA STAR Certification

Has anyone taken the UA STAR test? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Several local companies are paying over the rate, holidays, and/or vacation for service mechanics with the STAR cert. Not bad for just taking a test.

The local competition for "real good" service mechanics seem to have the good companies paying "extra" to keep their good guys and willing to pay extra to steal talented personnel from other companies. A good thing for the decent service guys.

What's happening else where? Any servicemen shortage issues?

Star

Yes, I have taken it. No one is paying over scale in Boston because of it. It's part of our apprentice Program. Always short on Great Mechanics!!!

I have taken and passed the test . It covers a lot of areas in hvac for instance if your a chiller tech you may want to study steam heat . And as I always say when taking one of these standardized test it's best to give them the anser there looking for even though you may know a different way .
    And no it hasn't made me any more money .
    is this really happening or not

i have a study guide for it,but i haven't taken it.

Cool Star Test

Took the test last year. passed it but no change in status, still journeyman.
    Company pushes the fact that they have Star Certified techs.
    I heard that some guys that had a Serviceman 5 or 1 status (i can't remember) were brought up to journeyman status with all the bennies....

Quote Originally Posted by grendil View Post
    Yes, I have taken it. No one is paying over scale in Boston because of it. It's part of our apprentice Program. Always short on Great Mechanics!!!
    Who do you work for ? Do you have a 'fro?

I was one of the first to take it. It is also part of our Journeyman final exam. Many are being payed overscale as well.

I currently teach a review course for the steamfitter & HVAC/R.

I am a UA star, it is a pretty tough test. You need a very wide range of knowlege to pass, and a score of 80% or better. The company I worked for when I took the test, gave me a thousand bucks for passing it.

P.S. The Nate test is no comparison.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid View Post
    I am a UA star, it is a pretty tough test. You need a very wide range of knowlege to pass, and a score of 80% or better. The company I worked for when I took the test, gave me a thousand bucks for passing it.

P.S. The Nate test is no comparison.

SO is the STAR test better then the NATE test...

You can't pass the star with a two hour primer course. Unless you have been doing this for a long time. The star is a much more comprehensive test. You get 32 college credits for passing it.

I personally would rather see a Star type exam as the National standard, than Nate.

Better? I think so.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

I took the test in April 2003. I believe I got an 85%. They didnt have review courses at the time. I believe I was one of the first, if not the first in my area to take the STAR test.

I get money over scale, but I was getting that before I took the test.

I took and passed the test in March or April of '06. I don't think it was extremely difficult, but I did take more than one study course for it. The test is 199 questions and covers the trade from the rudda to the tudda.

Some shops in this area require you to have the STAR cert or pass the test soon after being hired. Many also pay over-scale and of course some couldn't care less about you passing a test.

I think I stored a 91% or 92%, not sure. Flem- I think your test was much more difficult than the test I took. They have revamped the test several times since you took it in '03.

-JB

Took it last year. Pretty hard , need to take some courses. I believe, passing rate in my area is around 20%. As far as getting more money, it all depends on employer and your location. I didn't get anything extra. But rumours are that in my shop every journymen has to be certified by the end of next year. And also I think that it will beeasier to find a job for a certified tech.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast