Iíve narrowed my choice down to a Carrier system. It seems that the DC Metropolitan area is a Carrier and Trane town, or at least the contractors Iíve dealt with so far do. It seems that most companies I've checked out deals with Carrier or Trane.

We have a 15-year-old home (3380 sq ftí, 2 level with basement ) where the duct system is not setup the best possible way for the home and each contractor agreed and from the comments Iíve seen on this forum you would probably agree, too. The main duct trunk is in the basement; it runs from one end of the basement to the other (HVAC at one end), all the supplies shoot off it to the upstairs area, and thereís no zoning at all.

Sidebar: what really pisses me off is that some of my neighbors with smaller homes have some sort of zoning system where they can shut down a certain area Ė me nothing. I got shafted - next builder beware.

Ok back to business at hand. So, after doing some research, I determined that the best option would be a variable speed unit with a 2 stage AC unit. I figured this would be the best unit for our existing ductwork (i.e. no zones). Each contractors made similar statements (I never even mentioned my intentions to them) that a variable speed unit would work best than the typical single stage and non-variable speed unit, but I think they probably push these unit though. Each one made a comment about the builder slacking when it came to the ductwork for the size of the home. At this point, we have to do the best with what we have because we are not ripping out walls or installing an attice unit.

Below are the choices I came up with, but as many who has ventured here before me, I need insight. I know it's been said that itís not all about the equipment, but the installer, so that has stuck in the back of my mind, but besides the installer hereís the equipment. Iím debating between the Infinity and Performance AC unit, but I donít know what the true differences are other than the decibel levels 69 vs 73 (silencer system II design).

Please provide your thoughts on my choices. I really want to know if there's any appreciable difference between the infinity and performance AC unit. What's the difference between the modulating and non-modulating gas furnace. Also, what do I need to make sure is installed by the contractor to get the most out of these units? Which would be the better combination system and why?

Thanks...Al

Carrier:

Infinity 98 Modular Furnace: 59MN7A
Infinity 17 AC Unit: 24ANB7

Infinity 98 Modular Furnace: 59MN7A
Performance 17 AC Unit: 24ACB7

Infinity 96 Gas Furnace: 59TN6
Infinity 17 AC Unit: 24ANB7

Infinity 96 Gas Furnace: 59TN6
Performance 17 AC Unit: 24ACB7