Thread: Vent Screen

Vent Screen

Now that I have two pvc vents through the side of my house, I've grown a little concerned.

Concerned that either animals may find them a nice place to crawl into or kids in the neighborhood may find them a nice place to drop golf balls or matchbox cars into. I probably did worse things when I was a kid

What do you all think of a stainless steel screen of sorts? I'm assuming there is a drawback or else they would probably be standard, or at least offered at the time of install.

Only problem I could think of so far would be it could get clogged if was never looked at and cleaned.

What do you all think?

Screens on the flue pipe tend to ice over and cause no heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks, forgot about the condensation.

What about capping them in the summer? Also a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by seekingcomfort View Post
    Thanks, forgot about the condensation.

What about capping them in the summer? Also a bad idea?
    Lots of people would forget to remove them in the fall before using the heat. Could cause sooting problems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If the vents are done correctly it will minimize the risk of critters getting in them. I use screen on 3" pipe, never on 2".

Cap them, then have your a/c guy come out and install a toggle switch in the attic to break the heat wire, with a note next to it saying "remove caps before flipping switch"
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Generally I don't see many issues, way up north we heat 10 months a year, I rarely see blocked vent issues, usually when I do it's a wasp nest. If I was you I would forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Cap them, then have your a/c guy come out and install a toggle switch in the attic to break the heat wire, with a note next to it saying "remove caps before flipping switch"
    That's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Generally I don't see many issues, way up north we heat 10 months a year, I rarely see blocked vent issues, usually when I do it's a wasp nest. If I was you I would forget about it.
    You are probably right. It's all done now. I should just enjoy my cool house on this 90 degree day.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Lots of people would forget to remove them in the fall before using the heat. Could cause sooting problems.
    Or someone else in the house decides it a fine idea to turn the heat on during a 65 degree night in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by seekingcomfort View Post
    That's funny!
    But it's real, I could personally add something like this in less than 30 minutes, if you do the note.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    But it's real, I could personally add something like this in less than 30 minutes, if you do the note.
    I didn't mean to imply its not a great idea And the furnace is in the basement so it would be pretty simple to get to, even better.
    It just made me chuckle, not sure why