Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annual "tuneups" - necessary or sales pitch

Post Likes

Annual "tuneups" - necessary or sales pitch

Are these annual or bi-annual tuneups necessary for HVAC equipment or is it just a money making service for companies?

I hear from some people that only the filter needs to be changed while everything should be left alone unless there is a change in the way the system performs.

Other people say things should be checked.

Post Likes
    If you do a good job with filtering the return air & keep the outdoor coil clean, & know how to check the ballpark performance of your systems, then a semiannual or even an annual may not be critically important.

Initially, after the original install every aspect of the entire system needs to be thoroughly checked for all proper design aspects & the Actual Delivered Performance of the System to the conditioned areas.

It depends on a lot of factors, as a thorough checkup when performed properly, potentially could prevent future high dollar costs...as well as reduce monthly utility costs.

Post Likes
    For most residential systems I don't think they are necessary. In fact, "tune-ups" can often cause more problems than they prevent. If you keep your filter clean and the system seems to be operating normally and you utility bills seem normal, then you should be okay. If you live in a harsh environment and your outdoor unit gets really dirty or you can't remember to change your filters, then a annual cleaning/inspection may be necessary.
    For commercial systems I think a maintenance program is absolutely necessary. Commercial systems are often neglected and are subject to heavy duty use and should be inspected/cleaned more often.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    You call them Tuneups, They are also could be called Preventative Maintenance Visits

For Example this Saturday will be my Annual Cottonwood Saturday.

I visit a number of customers who live in a cottonwood zone and clean out their condenser coils
    of that dreaded cottonwood......gonna be upper 80's this weekend. Imagine those a/c's that
    will run at higher than normal temps and pressures if they didn't get the cottonwood cleaned
    out.

Or I can't tell you the number of Contactors I replaced at at reasonable cost because there contacts were pitted and blackened that after replacement I am certain allowed better trusted voltage to the compressor

Granted they do bring income to the Company but they also provide a service to the folks who do want them done

Post Likes
    Want to extend the life of your a/c system

Not to Hijack the thread but

Other than a properly installed a/c system (proper evac, llfd, nitrogen flow while brazing) would be to have a digital
    thermostat with a short cycle protector or time delay enabled on that thermostat.

It keeps the thermostat off for a preset period of time to allow for equalization of pressures in the system preventing excessive wear and tear on compressors, the blowing of fuses or the tripping of circuit breakers
    and prolonging the life of an a/c system

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I live in Los Angeles. Our AC is used maybe 2 weeks a year, mostly in the late afternoon, and before bedtime to get to a comfortable temp. Once in a while it'll run a bit at night if it's really warm.

Our heater is used more often since we have a cold house and a sensitive member of the household. This might run for a few hours every day for a couple of months.

The reason I asked my question is not just about saving the $ or so per visit, but also because I read some other posts where people's systems were unnecessarily "adjusted" and caused further problems.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-19-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    After two years it should be check once a year. Condensate drain-all elec. connection-check for rust-clean the condenser coils-points on contactor-amp draw on all motors. Also check all duct work for leaks and supports. Look at those take off and make sure they are still sealed. Had three last week in one attic that were laying loose in the attic. Check that charge also. And about 12 more things. Its like your car if you want it to last-Change the oil-and check all other fluids-keep it full with gasoline and check the tire pressure. You might even wash it own in a while.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    There are some small parts that should be checked every year(don't have to be checked), if they go out. They may or may not cause major damage. often they don't. but more then one compressor has died because a couple cheap parts weren't checked.

Post Likes
    Depends. Some companies use them as a loss leader to see what else they can con you into.

Ours aren't cheap. Most of the techs are long experienced and most are NATE certified. They are looking to clean your unit and get it running at its peak. They aren't on commission so if they tell you a capacitor is weak, you need it. The biggest thing is keeping the outdoor coil clean. I checked out a Trane in a friend's new rental house. Talk about FILTHY. Gonna cool so much better now that it can remove some heat and since I slowed the blower down, she says the humidity level is so much lower.

But finding techs that aren't just there to sell you something can be a problem. Maybe avoiding those under say $60? Below that most companies aren't making any money and have to sell you something to break even or make a buck.

Post Likes
    I often receive this question as
    Well.. Here is my opinion,,,,I feel (especially on a gas appliance) that the unit should be looked at by a qualified person with training and proper instruments to make sure that the unit is safe to operate each and every year. The cost involved to have such a person travel to your home is probably 2/3 the cost of having him also do a full maintenance while he is at your home. Companies do not give you the option of this and do a maintenance visit only. As it just does kit make sense otherwise. Commission based technicians are more likely to take advantage of customers. Companies that offer free or ridiculously low prices need to offset there true cost of being there and generally will make that up on repairs. The company I work for allots a certain number of cleanings in a day that varies on the season and offers a fair cost for the service while allowing room in the schedule for repairs calls that come in as well. We often find issues such as out of value capacitors, worn contactors, dirty filters and such and recommend replacement on these parts. We make a FAIR profit on these items and everyone wins. The philosophy of the company is to provide excellent service at fair prices with. Fair profit and when the day the unit needs replacement we will have built a reputation with the customer that we will also get the replacement thus the cycle continues..... I feel that an annual cleaning/safety inspection is worth every penny. I cannot tell you how many times I have run service calls for no heat and found conditions that were very very unsafe that could have been found proactively.

Post Likes
    How about a check list of work performed and measurements taken?

Anybody leave such a thing with the consumer? Got one of those to share?

Post Likes
    Here is a screenshot of a random ticket I pulled (sorry about the writing) this is a generic list for gas furnace and ac.. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371691697.334818.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  82.0 KB

Post Likes
    Man that service ticket looks familiar

Post Likes
    My thoughts, based largely on my local climate, is the following:

• Natural gas and propane fired furnaces should be inspected and serviced yearly. This includes heat exchanger inspection, venting safety inspection, and combustion analysis, not a $29.95 "special"
    • Heat pump and regular a/c outdoor coils should be cleaned at the beginning of the cooling season, every year
    • Heat pump and straight a/c outdoor compressor contactors, terminal connections, wiring, and capacitors, outdoor fan motor, blades, and capacitors, and all wiring associated with all components require annual inspection and testing, at minimum
    • For cheap 1" filters, homeowner should change them every 30 to 45 days
    • For a deep pleated (4") media filter, homeowner should inspect it every three months, consider changing it after six months, and definitely not let it go more than one year without a change
    • Refrigerant level should be checked only if a leak is suspected, or performance deficiencies have cropped up, provided the technician or company is already familiar with the system's history. A new tech/contractor to the system should check levels to establish a baseline comparison for future visits. Leaks should always be repaired; "topping off" a system places system longevity at risk (i.e. potential compressor death)
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Spark,,, based on your location I would imagine it would

Post Likes
    I agree with Shophound, that is a good list.

Think about it like your personal auto: Would you let it go until it quit? We all know that could mean a multi $thousand repair... We all know preventative maintenance is a good idea on the auto... and on the home heating and AC system also. Pay now or pay later...

BTW: Any tech with any amount of experience can look at a system and tell in a minute how long it has been since maintenance. When we come out to a 'no heat' or a 'no cool' call... and find a system that has not been PM'ed regularly... well we look for all possible issues... and it is gonna cost. Problem is... one has to get it running before they can check many other things... which probably will need attention.

It is not uncommon to have a $1K+ bill for a no cool call... if the system is seriously neglected.

Note my area is one where AC runs 4-5 mos a year... a short swing season, and then 4-5 mos of heat season followed by a short swing season. Equipment in my area gets run regularly, and needs regular maintenance.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    My thoughts, based largely on my local climate, is the following:

• Natural gas and propane fired furnaces should be inspected and serviced yearly. This includes heat exchanger inspection, venting safety inspection, and combustion analysis, not a $29.95 "special"
    • Heat pump and regular a/c outdoor coils should be cleaned at the beginning of the cooling season, every year
    • Heat pump and straight a/c outdoor compressor contactors, terminal connections, wiring, and capacitors, outdoor fan motor, blades, and capacitors, and all wiring associated with all components require annual inspection and testing, at minimum
    • For cheap 1" filters, homeowner should change them every 30 to 45 days
    • For a deep pleated (4") media filter, homeowner should inspect it every three months, consider changing it after six months, and definitely not let it go more than one year without a change
    • Refrigerant level should be checked only if a leak is suspected, or performance deficiencies have cropped up, provided the technician or company is already familiar with the system's history. A new tech/contractor to the system should check levels to establish a baseline comparison for future visits. Leaks should always be repaired; "topping off" a system places system longevity at risk (i.e. potential compressor death)
    Perfect way to look at it. A system that is not maintained will fail sooner, cause for higher electic usage etc...

It's like anything mechanical it needs to serviced at least once a year. I recommend twice as most do. Once for heating and once for cooling before it gets cold or hot.

In my area not uncommon to see a unit that has not had maintance done to it and when techs go out the bill can be pretty high to get the unit back running and performing like it should. Often when we get a call for no cooling is a small part that has failed but before it can be checked for any other problems it has to be cleaned and ran to get acrate readings.

To many companies don't express the importance of maintance on a system and will just fix probelm and move on but wait what if there is something else going on that could have caused the part to fail? The key is to find a good company with maintance program that is reasonable and clean the unit as it needs to be cleaned not just hose off outside condenser from outside only.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pookley View Post
    Thanks for the info. I live in Los Angeles. Our AC is used maybe 2 weeks a year, mostly in the late afternoon, and before bedtime to get to a comfortable temp. Once in a while it'll run a bit at night if it's really warm.

Our heater is used more often since we have a cold house and a sensitive member of the household. This might run for a few hours every day for a couple of months.

The reason I asked my question is not just about saving the $ or so per visit, but also because I read some other posts where people's systems were unnecessarily "adjusted" and caused further problems.
    I was at a lady's house last night that didn't do her annual maintenance and her whole kitchen ceiling collapsed. I guess you live and learn.

Post Likes
    So, I'm the customer. How do I know what I'm getting? That the work is actually done? Kangas list, nothing is filled out but some scratches on the bottom. What was done?

Where is the accountability? Proof shortcuts weren't taken?

If there is no clear list, how am I to differentiate between the $29 and the $129 service? I think we need some type of list outlining what should occur, and the numbers the tech should leave behind. Otherwise is it any surprise the $129 looks like someone just trying to grab an extra Benjamin?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I was at a lady's house last night that didn't do her annual maintenance and her whole kitchen ceiling collapsed. I guess you live and learn.
    So, if the line was clear and draining at the time of your PM, and this happened later on, how would a annual maintenance check helped? Your post is what we sometimes called scare tactic in this business, I would like to know the percentage of the times, someone actually prevents something drastic from happening as in your post above, compared to nothing being wrong at all.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

21. Likes Mimbler liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in