Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    never sold service or maintenance agreements. Probably be a lot better of $$ wise if I had, but that is ok. I am a 1 man shop and since 1972 have done mostly commercial refrigeration. Just started doing some AC work this year. Go a call yesterday AC was out some one told him to call me. He had changed the capacitor but it till didn't work. Quoted him my everyday price, no extra for Saturday. Found the transformer bad, didn't have one. He want to pick one up and install it himself. OK. I hooked up my little black box to get him going. He then says he thinks the Freon might be low as it doesn't cool like it used to. I asked if he had been changing the filters. What filters? He said nothing has been done to the unit since it was installed 23 years ago. I will be going back to do a clean up & "tune up" this week. Wonder what the evap is going to look like? Oh well might be some one who should have a service contract. If so
    he will need to look elsewhere. Oh yes the unit still didn't run right off. He had the wires wrong on the capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by ReferYankee View Post
    Im trying to wrap my head around the difference between the two? If you want to PREVENT what are typically more expensive repairs/longer downtimes, spend the little bit of money and have your equipment on a maintenance program!

Did a check up on a wall heater last year .. there was black soot in front of the unit and black all over the ceiling ....
    I asked the customer if anyone had been having headaches ... he was like YES.
    70ppm carbon monoxide coming out of it .. I turned off the gas and suggested he go and buy some electric space heaters for the time being.
    I wasn't able to sell him a new heating unit but I think I saved some lives.

Finding a component that is operating out of design conditions and correcting the problem can save you a service call in the middle of the night, if not energy costs alone.
    Changing air filters and rinsing condensers can lower the amperage 12-20% ... plenty of efficiency saving there to afford an quick check up by your ac guy.
    I worked in a city that paid our company to do this for the residents just to lower energy costs citywide.
    If they take the time to measure the fine points it can pay for itself.
    Not every unit needs a tuneup but I find at least one a day that does.
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

Quote Originally Posted by ReferYankee View Post
    Im trying to wrap my head around the difference between the two? If you want to PREVENT what are typically more expensive repairs/longer downtimes, spend the little bit of money and have your equipment on a maintenance program!
    On residential systems the filters and equipment are usually readily accessible. So a home owner can easily change/wash their filter and see if the outdoor unit is dirty. Commercial systems are typically on the roof and their's no one who is responsible for changing the filters. Commercial systems also operate more than residential systems. So owners of commercial building need to hire someone to change their filters because the tenants will neglect to do it and components wear out sooner.
    If a home owner can't remember to change their filter then, yes, they should hire someone to do it for them. Otherwise, having someone come out once or twice a year to inspect their system is a waste of money.
    Modern HVAC systems require very little maintenance beyond keeping the filter clean. The motors don't require lubrication, there are no pilots anymore, and there are plenty of safeties built into modern furnaces. The new high-end Rheem units don't even have contactors anymore. They have relays built into the circuit boards that are designed to open at zero volt point of the AC sine wave to prevent arcing. So soon contactors won't wear out anymore. Under normal conditions I would say the most frequent a residential system would need to be inspected is once every other year. And, if a system has not been inspected in over 5 years, it should definitely be inspected.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Having a business near the beach the units have to be cleaned at leased once a year. Mold and mildew build up in every unit. We clean them up and spray a disinfectent and this last for about a year. Rust is another problem in just a few years. We spray a rust preventer on the metal parts. Electric connection break down,even wire nuts melt down. Does any one just check their car's oil level and tire pressure every other year.
    Blue Fox

Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    Having a business near the beach the units have to be cleaned at leased once a year. Mold and mildew build up in every unit. We clean them up and spray a disinfectent and this last for about a year. Rust is another problem in just a few years. We spray a rust preventer on the metal parts. Electric connection break down,even wire nuts melt down. Does any one just check their car's oil level and tire pressure every other year.
    Any type of machinery operated in a harsh environment would require more frequent maintenance, repair and replacement.
    If my car is not leaving any oil spots in the driveway and it's not burning oil then no, I would not check the oil level. I would just wait until the next scheduled oil change. And if you don't operate your vehicle in a harsh environment you don't need to change the oil every 3000 miles. You could go as long as 5000 miles before you would need to change the oil. And my vehicle has air pressure sensors that tell me what the pressures are so I don't need to check the pressures.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345