Copeland k body compressor lock rotor

Has anyone had any luck freeing one of these up? I would like to get back on line if at all possible. Just got done replacing the valve plate for the compressor. started up and check operation about a week ago. all was good. It has a CPR valve on it. I'm thinking this is leaking by and not holding pressure back.
    Any ideas on freeing up the Copeland compressor. Let me know. If i have to replace I will have to. Thanks.
    Helgy

1ph... ck capacitors & relay.
    3ph... reverse 2 wires.

There's many things that can cause them to lock up. They're all fixable with enough time and patience. I've never had luck unsticking a k-body using any "tricks". All required disassembly and usually some parts

How is the oil level in the site glass? Does this have an oil pump ? (indicated by 4 bolts near the center of the crankcase end cover)

I have a K body running right now that several years ago was locked up solid.

I called and found a new compressor but just as a hail-mary-throw figured I'd try reversing a phase. The compressor started in reverse but sounded like a small jackhammer was in the crankcase. The oil level was OK so thinking to maybe keep the freezer temp down longer - while I went to pick up the compressor - I left it running. When I got back the owner was out there looking at it.

Got it going huh? What did you have to do? Where the hell have you been anyway?

The compressor is bad - I ran out and got a new one.

What's the matter with the old compressor?

It was locked up, mechanically stuck, so I reversed the rotation to get it going but it sounded like a bucket of bolts inside.

Isn't it running now?

Seems like it is; yes.

It sounds just like it always does - how much is the new compressor?

I tell him and he decides to play-the-odds and let the old one run and see how long before it stops again.

I kept the iron body in my van for more than a week before returning it. That compressor is Still running and it's been years since that happened. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by helgy View Post
    Has anyone had any luck freeing one of these up? I would like to get back on line if at all possible. Just got done replacing the valve plate for the compressor. started up and check operation about a week ago. all was good. It has a CPR valve on it. I'm thinking this is leaking by and not holding pressure back.
    Any ideas on freeing up the Copeland compressor. Let me know. If i have to replace I will have to. Thanks.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

That basically mirrors my experience with semi-hermetics, PHM.
    I should add that when you free the compressor, reverse to original rotation to lessen noise.

Oh, and I hate any advice that starts " oh, there's many things that can cause..." Think it out a little!

Quote Originally Posted by IRBH View Post
    Oh, and I hate any advice that starts " oh, there's many things that can cause..." Think it out a little!
    My post was not advice, it was questions about the compressor. did it have an oil pump and what was the oil level? With the answers to these two questions, I could give more specific advice, rather than listing tons of things that will lock up a compressor.

I re-read original post & still can't find anything but a request for ideas on freeing a Copeland compressor... no reference as to cause of seizure.

Replace it, how is that ?