Accumilator Sweating Amount Question

Hi Folks, I have a question about the amount of sweating the Accumulator does.

Just installed a Goodman 13 Seer 2.5 Ton system, the ARUF
    30C14 air handler and the GSZ13 0301A outside unit.

We have a 35' line set and Goodman says add 0.6 ounces coolant per foot over the supplied 15' amount. This worked out on a calculator to about 9 ounces.

We got our numbers right @ 6.5 ounces.

All seems well but I just wanted to run this by you.

I understand its normal for an accumulator to sweat and why.

I just want to ask this:

All the lines going to and from the accumulator sweat. Even the one entering at the top of the Compressor.
    The compressor is dry and is about 115F at the top when it shuts off and I aim my digital Temp gun at it.

On a really humid day with rain threatening clouds there will be a small puddle at the base. But most of the time its dry around the bottom with just the lines I spoke of.

Your words on the matter will be appreciated.

You can see the water in the pic I hope. This was after several hours of a rain threatening day.
    As for the fence section. That was to deflect the last units noise away from my deck. This one is so quiet I hardly need it but left it anyway for a total silence effect.

The unit was placed far away from the house to avoid any gutter clogging failure and direct pouring of roof shingle and such into the unit.
    We decided to use the old platform along with the new slab.
    The window is facing my truck tailgate in the garage :-)

Name:  Condensor_Sweating_sized_zpsee342d55.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  HVAC_finished_outside01_zps117ada40.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  45.5 KB

20' times .6 equals 12oz...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

still, goodman units are often overcharged for the coil and a piston. I usually simply break the vacuum and only add refrigerant if the pressures/temps call for it.
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

anyway, the accumulator is in the true suction, and as such it's going to be below ambient, it's a HUGE amount of metal and it's going to sweat. I've often wondered if adding armaflex to the inside lines, and accumulator would increase efficiency, and why manufacturers don't do it. only times I've seen them insulated is on minisplits.
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

In my experience, whenever a condenser sweats enough to leave a puddle of water on its pad, it is overcharged. This may not always be true, but every time I've seen lots of water like that, the suction line temp is low, which naturally amps up the amount of water that will collect on accumulators, lines, etc.

If superheat and subcooling readings were not obtained after starting the unit up, there's no form data on how that system is running. I would never depend on the factory charge and lineset length adjustment factors alone to determine correct charge.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Thanks,

I forgot to mention we are using a TXV valve.

I guess we are close being the puddling is only on super humid conditions. I am in the lower part of Northern GA about 40 miles above Atlanta.

I'm going to post the Super heat and Sub cooling numbers soon.