Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best flaring and or swaging tool?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a new flaring tool and am wondering what you guys think is the best one. I'm almost sold on the Yellow Jacket Deluxe 45 degree flaring tool; however, a set which includes a swaging kit as well may be the best way to go since they really do come in handy. Any comments are highly appreciated.

I just bought the orbital Hilmor flare tool and its pretty nice.

I really like the YJ 45 degree flaring tool. Haven't used any others besides a flaring block, but the YJ has performed well for me. For swaging I would recommend a hydraulic tubing expander. A little pricey but well worth the money

I have an older one of these and it works very well.
    However, I bought a new one for the installers and it would not hold the pipe securely. The pipe slid in the block. Since we were an hour from the shop I had to put emery cloth in the block to make it hold the pipe. It made for a very frustrating day. I returned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo7 View Post

I have the yj one also. I like the fact that it has a stop so you do not push pipe up to high. Also like the deburring feature. That being said, I like the ratchet and the clutch feature on the rigid. Wish they would combine the two.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Yes what he said. The Master cool swaging works for me. I have the Rigid but use the YJ.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter45 View Post
    I really like the YJ 45 degree flaring tool. Haven't used any others besides a flaring block, but the YJ has performed well for me. For swaging I would recommend a hydraulic tubing expander. A little pricey but well worth the money

I've been using the YJ 60295 eccentric flare tool for a while now and really like it. I also have a couple of different size YJ flare/swage block kits if needed, but don't normally use them all that often.

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-...679104&sr=1-68

http://www.mastercool.com/pages/int_...expanding.html

I have this one and like it a lot. Kinda expensive though.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371861846.009431.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  10.6 KB

I use the time proven Imperial swagging tool. Simple, holds the tubing very tightly and is reasonably priced.
    Rick

"It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time."

I have the Imperial kit, actually 2 of them, Haven't used either in years. It was the best when it first came out many, many years ago and very long lasting. The thing is there are so many better choices now I have had 1 bad flare with the new yellow jacket. Some how missed the stop and over sized the flare. It was in one of those places where I couldn't see. Great swages with the master cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
    I use the time proven Imperial swagging tool. Simple, holds the tubing very tightly and is reasonably priced.

I grabbed one of these to avoid needing fittings
    Notice the empty spots for additional sizes.Name:  hydraswage.png
Views: 536
Size:  45.5 KB
    My flare tool is an antique.
    http://www.mastercool.com/pages/int_...expanding.html
    Economy - Quality - Speed <---- pick two

With the cheap thin copper we are using now it is a miracle to get it to swage without splitting it on anything 1/2 or 3/8. I use a orbital flare tool from DSZH, works extremely well. Got a generic pump handle swager from ebay for about $120, works very well when the copper will allow it.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast