Need opinions before I call someone in.

We had our home built approximately 2.5 years ago(approximately 2100sq currently with 600 to be finished in the near future). I worked as the general contractor. The hvac was subbed out to a family friend hvac person who had a family operated hvac company in major metropolitan area for over 30 years. Our living room, kitchen/dining, and foyer area are essentially one great big room. The living room has 16' cathedral ceiling and the dining room has 12' cathedral ceiling. The living room also goes to a loft area to the second story of the house(which is not finished yet). We have always have problems with the living,foyer, and dining/kitchen area being either warmer in the summer or cooler in the winter than our bedroom areas.

I have created a very rudimentary drawing of the hvac layout and wanted to get opinions on your thoughts about the design. All duct work in located in the basement. Each room has it's own run and supplies are located in the floor underneath the windows in each room.

Equipment information is below..

Trane 4TEE3F49B1000BA handler variable speed
    Trane 4TWR5048E1000AB heat pump xr15

what information should I know about this equipment?

I am concerned that our runtimes during cooling are very short which is primarily due to the living room, kitchen/dining room not receiving enough supply.

Are 5 6" supplies enough for an area of essentially 900 square feet with 16' and 12' vaulted ceilings. If our thermostat is set on 75 with 90 degree outside temp the living,foyer,dining/kitchen will be approximately 77 degree and the bedroom area will be 74 degrees.

I am looking to call someone in to get some other opinions but wanted to get the most information that I could before then.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this post. I appreciate your input.

Hindsight is 20/20!(wish I would have found this place before the build)

Name:  HVAC_LAYOUT_ROUGH.png
Views: 186
Size:  24.9 KB

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-02-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Sounds and looks you don't have enough supply ducts/right sizes to the areas that are hot and cold.

I would start from scratch by getting a load cal done for your home and manual d cal done. To see how much tonage you need for the entire home & how much air flow you need to each room.

(5) 6" drops sounds small for the amount of cfm you need to each room? While metal ductwork is better then flex it still looks as though you are coming up short on entire cfm needed for the system to work at max performance along with the rest of the duct work.

Time to call a pro out that can do load cal for both system and ductwork to determine what needs to be done to correct the issues you are having. Keep is posted.

Thumbs up Additional line and Balancing Needed

[QUOTE=simpy6734;15886401]We had our home built approximately 2.5 years ago(approximately 2100sq currently with 600 to be finished in the near future). I worked as the general contractor. The hvac was subbed out to a family friend hvac person who had a family operated hvac company in major metropolitan area for over 30 years. Our living room, kitchen/dining, and foyer area are essentially one great big room. The living room has 16' cathedral ceiling and the dining room has 12' cathedral ceiling. The living room also goes to a loft area to the second story of the house(which is not finished yet). We have always have problems with the living,foyer, and dining/kitchen area being either warmer in the summer or cooler in the winter than our bedroom areas.

I have created a very rudimentary drawing of the hvac layout and wanted to get opinions on your thoughts about the design. All duct work in located in the basement. Each room has it's own run and supplies are located in the floor underneath the windows in each room.

Equipment information is below..

Trane 4TEE3F49B1000BA handler variable speed
    Trane 4TWR5048E1000AB heat pump xr15

what information should I know about this equipment?

I am concerned that our runtimes during cooling are very short which is primarily due to the living room, kitchen/dining room not receiving enough supply.

Are 5 6" supplies enough for an area of essentially 900 square feet with 16' and 12' vaulted ceilings. If our thermostat is set on 75 with 90 degree outside temp the living,foyer,dining/kitchen will be approximately 77 degree and the bedroom area will be 74 degrees.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this post.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Hindsight is 20/25.

The difficulties of dealing with cathedral ceilings
    and open areas
    always present themselves in one form or another.

Add 8" round metal duct to 8" x 16" header in Living Room.
    Diffuser 6" x 14", Ak 0.39 for upto 200 CFM.
    _________ __________________

8" x 16" header capability, see attachment

http://www.hartandcooley.com/assets/..._rz421_531.pdf

http://www.hartandcooley.com/assets/...tial_02-13.pdf
    Pages, 6,7, 41 and 42.

Also, ASSURE that the Five existing 6" lines have at least 4 x 12" [Ak 0.21] diffusers.

Thermostat could be located in the living room or you may
    simply wish to adjust day and night settings via programmable by 1' to 3'F.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I checked the existing diffusers and they are 4x10. What impact would it have making them 4x12? I have a few calls in to area hvac companies and am also looking into an energy audit. Local power company offers audit to customers for $50 out of pocket and one of the certified auditors is also part of a local HVAC company.

8" would be very easy to add, probably no more than 3' away from the 8x16 header to an ideal location for the diffuser.

...am also looking into an energy audit. Local power company offers audit to customers for $50 out of pocket and one of the certified auditors is also part of a local HVAC company.
    Way to go...$50 is a steel...
    Every Home should have an Energy Audit & then when retro-work is done, do a room by room heat-gain heat-loss calc.

Always do a proper job sizing equipment, Return Air - Free-Area filter sizing, & ductwork sizing for optimal operating efficiencies.

following up

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Way to go...$50 is a steel...
    Every Home should have an Energy Audit & then when retro-work is done, do a room by room heat-gain heat-loss calc.

Always do a proper job sizing equipment, Return Air - Free-Area filter sizing, & ductwork sizing for optimal operating efficiencies.
    The energy auditor is scheduled to come this Saturday(starting at 6am), and I am pumped.

I have also had the 8" supply installed in the living area as stated before and temps are now holding much better in the open area of the house.

Thanks for the help so far.