Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by philinpdx View Post
    Could anyone advise me on which of these two units would be considered higher priced / higher quality etc?

We have a two identical quotes for the installation of heating & air conditioning units from 2 different contractors. We're trying to figure out which quote we should go with of the two.

Contractor Quote #1:

Tempstar T9MPV100J20D furnace
    Tempstar R410A Air conditioner

Contractor Quote #1:

Goodman AFUE GMS9/GCS9 furnace
    Goodman 13 Seer

Does anyone have any idea which quote would be best? Which heater could be best?
    Tempstar....

You may want to get a quote on the Ruud/Rheem modulating furnace for ultimate comfort.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by billva View Post
    You may want to get a quote on the Ruud/Rheem modulating furnace for ultimate comfort.

good luck.
    Why ???

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Tempstar is the way to go!!

get a good man to install a Goodman!

I feel both brands make good equipment and agree with the others that you need to get comparable bids.

Its probably one of those deals where they bid the way they felt you wanted it. Now you have a better idea of the diferances as far as one being variable speed and one not.

Big differance in price as far as equipment cost. Now you need to get them going the same way as far as apples to apples. Also look at the bids making sure its all spelled out what they are doing.

Such and such furnace and a/c installed as compared to a bid of telling you addtional return, sealing of new ducting, any changes to get things to code, on and on. Just so you know all the little things a certain shop it doing to make a proper installation. Some guys are doing it some are not, you just never know.

All the little things they are doing to do it right costs a little more ......... sometimes a lot more.

As I say , either one is a comparable brand name.

Both manufactures make junk furnaces, stay away. Lennox, trane or carrier are good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by fd3687 View Post
    Both manufactures make junk furnaces, stay away. Lennox, trane or carrier are good choices.
    And your opinion is based on what exactly? Just what is it that makes you think one brand is so much better then another? Be specific. So far you sound pretty unknowing about the HVAC industry. Let's see if you can back up your idiotic statements with facts.

Start out by comparing;

Heat exchangers
    Blower motors
    Ignition systems
    GAMA efficiency ratings
    Warranties
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Neither a good choice

Both goodman and tempstar have issues with their heat exchangers. Goodman units have flimsy clamps that attach the heat exchanger to the outlets of the burner box. In my opinion, over time these clamps will get loose because of thermal expansion.

Tempstar has a bad history of poping rivits out of their heat exchanger. Last winter in the Toronto area, tempstar-keeprite wholesalers were giving cleaning kits with each new furnace, telling contractors that they would have to remove the secondary heat exchanger to clean out oil that was left from the manufacturing process. (wheres the QC)

Tempstar still uses a pilot for ignition. Requires annual maintenace in order to in insure proper ignition.

Warranties are the same for standard systems.

What I have found over the years is that tempstar parts are typicaly more exspensive then goodman parts.

Efficiencies are typicaly the same.

Blower motors are either made by GE or Emerson, both good manufactures.

Tempstar has recently removed the use of the smart valve, good move on their part.

This is what i know about these two units. Wont install either, however I have worked on many of both Goodman and Tempstar products.

OK, this is a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by fd3687 View Post
    Both goodman and tempstar have issues with their heat exchangers. Goodman units have flimsy clamps that attach the heat exchanger to the outlets of the burner box. In my opinion, over time these clamps will get loose because of thermal expansion..
    I don't know much about Tempstar but the current Goodman heat exchangers are considered to be at the top of the industry for quality and design. Goodman's Amana brand heat exchanger which is the same as the Goodman only in stainless steel has a zero failure rate under normal conditions since 1989...YES; ZERO!

Every manufacturer has had issues with heat exchangers over the years, why pick only on these two?

Tempstar has a bad history of poping rivits out of their heat exchanger. Last winter in the Toronto area, tempstar-keeprite wholesalers were giving cleaning kits with each new furnace, telling contractors that they would have to remove the secondary heat exchanger to clean out oil that was left from the manufacturing process. (wheres the QC).
    Again, all manufacturers have had issues. Why not post the Carrier issue with deteriorating coating causing blockage in the heat exchangers?

Tempstar still uses a pilot for ignition. Requires annual maintenace in order to in insure proper ignition..
    Pilot? Again, don't know much about Tempstar but I have a problem believing that any furnace today still uses a pilot.

Warranties are the same for standard systems..
    WRONG! Goodman 13 SEER standard equipment has a ten year warranty with a lifetime warranty on all heat exchangers.

What I have found over the years is that tempstar parts are typicaly more exspensive then goodman parts..
    All parts are more then Goodman OEM parts. That is just a matter of shear buying power since there are more Goodman units installed in North America then any other singular branded equipment.

Efficiencies are typicaly the same..
    Most manufacturers call model lines specific efficiency when in fact only some of the sizes of those models are actually rated at the inflated efficiency. If Goodman states a model is a specific efficiency, most if not all rated sizes of that model will be rated at that efficiency.

When the U.S. Dept. of Energy required 95% efficiency for furnaces to qualify for tax credits there were 21 rated units that achieved 95% efficiency or better; 20 of those furnaces were manufactured by Goodman.

Blower motors are either made by GE or Emerson, both good manufactures.

Tempstar has recently removed the use of the smart valve, good move on their part..
    Most companies used this gas valve at one time or another. It is a shame the issues with the connections on the valves electric pad were not addressed properly in time to prevent this valve from getting as bad a reputation as it has. I personally have done quick repairs on many of these valves by running tape around the wiring pad.
    This is what i know about these two units. Wont install either, however I have worked on many of both Goodman and Tempstar products.
    You might want to consider catching up with the advancements of equipment in our industry.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Man the Goodman 95% efficient unit is probably one of the best units on the market. I'd put it up against anything she purrs like a kitten.
    gahh

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by genoa city hvac View Post
    HI, The Tempstar model MPV looks like it might be a 2 stage ECM Variable speed furnace. If so that is a much better piece of equipment to have installed.. The goodman GMS9 furnace Model is a single stage Multi-speed unit. "Beware" The goodman model numbers are incomplete They do not indicate the BTU,CFM or tonnage. Example: GMS95704CXA~GSC13036 Also the R410a Condensor is a more expensive piece of equipment than the Gooodman GSC13 R-22 Condensor.You should seek another Quote for a 2 stage furnace and a 410a Condensor to match apples to apples.. Just a thought. AND BEWARE OF THE LOW BID!!
    The tempstar is carrier and it is emc and is much better You will save more money with 2 stage furnace. Variable speed is for comfort not savings

I like tempstar more for the out door unit but thats just and opinion based on looks and I think it might be a little more quiet. As for the tempstar heater which I do install I was a little dissapointed to find out on the mpv model 2 stage variable speed model that the blower motor does not really act like a true variable speed motor due to the cheaper programing used vs a carrier/trane/i dont know about goodman because I never looked latly would have to ask robo about this.

If you look at the fan data for the tempstar variable speed motor the cfms drop off fast when static pressure rises just like a standard psc motor so the motor actually uses dc power like a ecm but doesnt appear to ramp up like and ecm and actually loses quite a bit of cfms when the static rises. This was disapointing to me and kinda of misleading on tempstars part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast