Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goodman VS Tempstar

Could anyone advise me on which of these two units would be considered higher priced / higher quality etc?

We have a two identical quotes for the installation of heating & air conditioning units from 2 different contractors. We're trying to figure out which quote we should go with of the two.

Contractor Quote #1:

Tempstar T9MPV100J20D furnace
    Tempstar R410A Air conditioner

Contractor Quote #1:

Goodman AFUE GMS9/GCS9 furnace
    Goodman 13 Seer

Does anyone have any idea which quote would be best? Which heater could be best?
    Last edited by philinpdx; 03-22-2007 at 05:20 AM.

First, edit ouot the prices.
    No price info allowed on theis forum.

Second, post full model numbers of both the furnaces, and the A/C equipment.
    Without it, we can't tell if the A/C units are low or high end units.
    You have to compare apples to apples.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Goodman VS Tempstar

Hello, sorry I didn't realize that prices weren't allowed. I actually was just stating the amount of two quotes that I got that included full installation. In anycase, the model numbers I posted I thought were complete and are the model numbers that were given by the two contractors.

When I've searched online under those model numbers they seem to be found. Its just hard for me to get clear on prices and quality ratings of the two.

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer. I'd suppose that Goodman and Tempstar units can differ in quality depending on if you're getting a higher end of one and a lower end of the other.

However, the two model numbers I've posted shouldn't be too hard to find out which one would normally retail for more and have more positive feedback from experienced contractors.

Anyone know about those units?

The Tempstar furnace mod number looks more like a Carrier number.
    The Goodman number is not a complete number, and indicates 2 possible models.
    The TS? number is a 100,000 BTU input 90%, with a 5 ton blower.
    The A/C info isn't complete mod numbers either. So can't tell what size, or if their high end, or low end.

Tempstar has a good warranty, and so does Goodman.
    You find contractors that like both and hate both.

Myself, I like the Tempstar high end equipment.

Which contrator checked out your duct work, measured your house. Spent the most time finding out your needs.
    That is the contractor to use.
    The brand is less important then the contractor.
    A bad contractor can make a good unit a lemon.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Did they do a load Calculation for your home?

HI, The Tempstar model MPV looks like it might be a 2 stage ECM Variable speed furnace. If so that is a much better piece of equipment to have installed.. The goodman GMS9 furnace Model is a single stage Multi-speed unit. "Beware" The goodman model numbers are incomplete They do not indicate the BTU,CFM or tonnage. Example: GMS95704CXA~GSC13036 Also the R410a Condensor is a more expensive piece of equipment than the Gooodman GSC13 R-22 Condensor.You should seek another Quote for a 2 stage furnace and a 410a Condensor to match apples to apples.. Just a thought. AND BEWARE OF THE LOW BID!!

Brand name really doesn't matter look at the warranty and Install go with the company that completly sized your house correct,but if i had to choose i'd go with the tempstar better unit all around.But as stasted u could have the top of the line but without a proper Install money and time wasted.Good Luck

Goodman is FREON or r-22 Tempstar 410a
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

The Tempstar model is a complete number. It is a variable speed 2 stage furnace.

Tempstar VS Goodman

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm going to call contractor #2 and ask him if the Goodman is also a "Variable Speed" as I've heard that is a big deal and we've confirmed that is what the Tempstar model is.

They both I think spent perhaps equal time at the house. I'll find out the complete goodman model# and post that back here later.

Thanks again for the advice it helps!

Phil

the Tempstar is a higher dollar unit
    But far more importantly is who installs it....The installing contractor is the key to getting the most out of any piece of equipment. Who do you think will back it up their work 100% if you have problems of the 2.
    Big leaps get you there faster, small steps keep you there longer.

They are not comparable systems. The Tempstar is higher efficiency models then the Goodman you have posted. For a more apples to apples comparison you need to be quoted the Goodman GMV95***** furnace with the Goodman SSX14***** condensing unit. Then the Goodman will be a 95% efficient furnace with a 14 SEER R410a cooling system.

As it is quoted, the Tempstar system is a higher efficiency system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

apples to apples....go with the Tempstar

no contest

tempstar all the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast