Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Injecting dye

I am in the process of helping to write up a policy paper on the use of dye for techs and I am really conflicted. Is it not illegal to knowingly let refrigerant leak out of a unit? When using dye (I have ) are you not hoping that the unit will leak to locate it? Bottom line is dye is illegal for the purpose of locating leaks. Now in saying this I do use it as a last resort and my techs use it as a last resort afer trying the conventional methods. I also believe every job is different and common sense has a big part to play in the determination to add dye. If the unit is empty then yes the leak should be located with detectors and soap but if down slightly over the course of a season then dye might be the answer. Money is also a concern, locating a leak may cost more than the value of the system. I have found many coils are starting to leak and in some cases dye has been the only way to find the tiny pinholes located in the tubes. Please keep this discussion going lol I need ideals and thoughts for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by desol View Post
    Hey guys. I leak checked it for quite a long time at 200 psi of nitrogen and soap. Couldn't find the leak. Left it pressured over the weekend and lost 30 psi. Anyone shed some experience and/or advice on situations like this. Very much appreciated. Unit is 410a. Thanks...
    Put the bubbles down and get a leak detector. Stop wasting the customers money.

You can use bubbles AFTER you narrow the leak down to what area its at.

waterdog, you guys have different rules than we do in the US. Here a system has to hold 50 lbs before there's any laws about leak repair.

isn't the allowable leak rate based on percentage of system charge, 10%-15%?

Those r410 leaks are hard to find because the operating pressures are high and the leaks don't come out until unit is running and vibrating, LMHO.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    It is against code to allow any refrigerant to leak out of a system here. You must isolate and remove refrigerant until leak is repaired I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdawg View Post
    It is against code to allow any refrigerant to leak out of a system here. You must isolate and remove refrigerant until leak is repaired I believe.

wow business should be good with that in place! I could be well off in a couple years time!

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    wow business should be good with that in place! I could be well off in a couple years time!
    Well yes but the issue is dye is added all the time and real hard to compete when not on a level playing field. Its used as an excuse to top up the unit with out actually finding the leak using traditional means.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Put the bubbles down and get a leak detector. Stop wasting the customers money.

You can use bubbles AFTER you narrow the leak down to what area its at.
    True enough...but I've seen guys spend hours with leak detectors and still find nothing. I HAVE however, had great luck with soap at obvious locations.
    I suppose i should break down and get one. What's the best detector out there? Inficon? Yellow Jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    No doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    I've slept since I studied for the 608 test, but iirc that is for systems above 50# charge or industrial process equipment. Residential systems and appliances don't have a limit.

Nitro and a shot of refer is pretty good for finding most leaks with a sniffer.

I agree with all that has been said but again in Ontario if not all of Canada there is no allowable leak limit so adding even a small amount of refrigerant to nitro is not allowed ;-(. And yes if anyone has input re: detector picks that would be great!!!

I love how they keep coming with "safer for the environment " refrigerants, newest being R410-a, but still act like they are radio active nuclear waste. I hate to say something unpopular here and certainly not recommending anything illegal but, if the purpose is to find a leak and thus stop the airing of refrigerants, is it really that bad to use a method that is both cheap for the customer and easy for the tech such as dye? IMO cheap and easy = more leaks found and stopped as opposed to the filler up every spring method. Of course filler up each spring is also illegal but does that really stop the craigslist Joes from getting there hands on a jug and "servicing" your customers? No. So once again Government regulation accomplishes exactly the opposite of the purpose of the regulation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast