Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 91
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NC Sandhills
    Posts
    404
    Wow, live commentary, It is common knowledge that the existing filter dryer must be replaced after compressor failure, and if my guys made this mistake it would be a promt response. When dryer is inside unit they are alot of times replaced by tubing and the new one installed on liquid line close to out door unit or close to air handler/furnance for ease of future replacement. In your case it is more ironic because the restricted filter dryer was the primary problem. Did comp failure cause dryer restiction or vise versa, chicken or egg what ever. That is mute at this point but what is a fact is that they dropped the ball on not removing old dryer. What brand unit is this? inside unit a foot off ground and vertical make me think goodman, but I am more familiar with heat pump configuration. Your question is did the time the unit was running before they realized the mistake, will it affect lifespan of new compressor. I think and hope that old dryer was so clogged it didnt expose to much new refer to contamination, and that the dryer they did put in caught what came out of old one. In invoice they said they were going to add a suction line filter dryer also, which would help even more, but they have to come back in future to remove that one as it is temporary. They are done/gone now, but I would at least have them do an acid test on the refrigerant on their time, and you witness the test. If it is good have them do another when suction dryer is removed. There are even some acid tests you can do yourself. As far as him sleeping in van, I have taken naps during evacuations (pull downs), but do have micron gauge. But wouldnt do it when I was there with an upset home owner upset over my company's mistake. I hope for best.

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,359
    I want the op to give us the denouement...
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  3. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I want the op to give us the denouement...
    I'm sorry, what does that mean?

    The owner still claims because he never ran the system that he could not have known that the drier was clogged. From my description it appears that he should have knows. From what some of you are saying he should have done it anyway just a eca use the comp failed. I wish there was something I could show him that says that is something that should always be done.

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    This is amazing. He's actually asleep in the van. Just called the owner, who also happens to be his brother, to see if he can call him to wake him up. I've never seen this before.
    Eh. I've done that quite a few times.

    Hour 14, gotta wait on a vacuum pump anyways, might as well catch a quick nap while it's pumping.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  5. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I'm sorry, what does that mean?

    The owner still claims because he never ran the system that he could not have known that the drier was clogged. From my description it appears that he should have knows. From what some of you are saying he should have done it anyway just a eca use the comp failed. I wish there was something I could show him that says that is something that should always be done.
    Ask the manufacturer, since they're the one paying for the compressor.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    46
    Ask them what?

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    158
    Maybe I missed something here but didn't you say that you would run the system and the liquid line was cold. They came out and diagnosed a compressor burnout? That would have tripped the breaker and nothing would have worked. Sounds to me like the only issue was the restricted drier from the get go. Did I miss something?

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    46
    Somehow it grounded out when he came to look at it and the breaker tripped. I asked earlier if that was just a coincidence and people said that he couldn't have caused it. Prior to him looking at it it would run for a minute or two and then the comp would shake a little and shut down. The skinny line was cold during that time and I made sure to let him know this and showed him exactly where it was cold which was right from the condenser and going into the house, but not near the inside unit. Just from my description I think nothing else but a restriction could have caused this and the way I understand it is that the drier is the only place where it could ha e been. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what I've taken from this thread.

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,359
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I want the op to give us the denouement...
    Google the word and find out. Since these threads are stories, it applies here.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  10. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Ask them what?
    If the manufacturer feels like a filter-dryer should be replaced at a compressor replacement.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

    "Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

    "Just get it done son."

    Dad adjusted

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    46
    Ok, so he called me to arrange payment. He was still claiming that a number of different things could have made the liquid line cold between the house and condenser. I told him I talked to a few people who said that drier should definitely be replaced no matter what and especially with my description. He pretended he would only charge me for the first day and asked me to give him what that quote said in cash. Quote said 6 hours and guy was here 3.5 hours first day. I figured had he cut out the original drier the first day it might have been an extra hour. He was asking for the original quote with taxes, not the original pretax price, so he was adding about $. Not a huge deal, but still higher than what it should be. Still claims he didn't make an error in not removing it to begin with. He's claiming he flushed the whole system the second day, not just the condenser, which may be true, but I doubt it. Even if he did, I'm sure he didn't use all new r-22. Kept saying how he used more material because he flushed it twice and that he would have had to flush it twice no matter what. I told him if he had deleted the drier to begin with I thought it would have let him flush it properly. He also said there was the time and gas to drive and pick up the comp even though the quote had $ for comp pick up. He said, no that's for shipping it from the manufacturer. Bottom line is we settled on $ more than the original quote, so it's probably still more than it should be, but not all that bad. Still not thrilled with his handling of the situation and wouldn't use them or recommend them to anyone.

    AC is now working, but probably still acid in the system. Oh well, live and learn. I might get an acid test, but I don't know how to do that. I don't want him doing it, doubt he would anyway.

    Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me and educate me on the topic. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know. Thanks again.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-06-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Prices

  12. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,338
    I've been following this thread and can't help but wonder if the compressor was not grounded. Maybe it was simply full of liquid refer (due to restriction) giving a false reading to ground. I'd love to get my hands on that compressor and heat it up then megg it out.

  13. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    46
    The fan was running slowly which I have read is a symptom of grounding out. The breaker also tripped, which I'm sure he could have easily done. Unless it's possible to rewire it to make the fan run slowly. The r22 did smell nasty and tons of black crud came out.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event