Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Skinny line is chilly. No cooling. How bad?

The outside skinny copper line is cold and gets condensation. I was told the fat line should be cold and the skinny should be hot. The outside unit starts, but I can hear it stop after a few minutes, but the fan keeps going. I called a place and they said it could be a filter somewhere or the compressor may have broken. I'd like some thoughts so I don't get taken to the cleaners. I don't see ice anywhere. Sounds like it might be expensive.

Could be worse. It sounds like it is that filter they mentioned. Id recommend not running it until its repaired.

The next question is what clogged up the filter? That question will be tough to answer . It is a gamble on your part as to how much life the unit has. It could run for years or have another failure soon. It may be worth a shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Could be worse. It sounds like it is that filter they mentioned. Id recommend not running it until its repaired.

The next question is what clogged up the filter? That question will be tough to answer . It is a gamble on your part as to how much life the unit has. It could run for years or have another failure soon. It may be worth a shot though.
    They said it could be due to installation error by the installer or I think they said valves coming loose in the compressor and clogging the filter, but they'd like to check it out first obviously.

Ok, they are coming out next week. Any suggestions/ideas/things to look out for?

Ask to see the Technicians Credentials. They are in the form of wallet cards.

It would be nice if they hold a State issued HVAC Tradesmans license, and/or NATE certification in servicing (not only installing) your type of equipment.

These would be in addition to the mandatory EPA certification to legally handle refrigerants.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Might be time to get some new equiment. How old is the unit? And is it a heat pump? Could be a small problem. Need some more information to figure out what could be wrong.
    Blue Fox

No heat pump. Under 5 years old. Thanks.

I don't see a little can on the skinny line which someone mentioned could be the cause. It goes all the way into the outside unit with the can.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I don't see a little can on the skinny line which someone mentioned could be the cause. It goes all the way into the outside unit with the can.
    Sometimes the filter drier (little can) can be located in tough to see places, try a google search for "refrigerant filter drier" that may give you a better indication of what you are looking for. Even if you found it, it's not something replaceable by a home owner. Did you take a temperature reading of the little line? Or just by feel

Oh, I'm not doing this myself. I know what I'm not capable of, just trying to know as much as possible before they come next week. I just touched the line and it was cold and had condensation. From my understanding, the insulated line should be cold and the skinny warm. My other unit which works great is opposite of this one.

Just searched for "refrigerant filter drier" and that's what I tried to find on my system, but don't see it anywhere. My neighbor's is right on the line as it leaves the outdoor unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Just searched for "refrigerant filter drier" and that's what I tried to find on my system, but don't see it anywhere. My neighbor's is right on the line as it leaves the outdoor unit.
    Might be "inside" the unit, look down inside of it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I was thinking that, but seemed like that would have been a PITA to install. I'll check when I get home. Thank you!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast