Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skinny line is chilly. No cooling. How bad?

Post Likes

Skinny line is chilly. No cooling. How bad?

The outside skinny copper line is cold and gets condensation. I was told the fat line should be cold and the skinny should be hot. The outside unit starts, but I can hear it stop after a few minutes, but the fan keeps going. I called a place and they said it could be a filter somewhere or the compressor may have broken. I'd like some thoughts so I don't get taken to the cleaners. I don't see ice anywhere. Sounds like it might be expensive.

Post Likes
    Could be worse. It sounds like it is that filter they mentioned. Id recommend not running it until its repaired.

The next question is what clogged up the filter? That question will be tough to answer . It is a gamble on your part as to how much life the unit has. It could run for years or have another failure soon. It may be worth a shot though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Could be worse. It sounds like it is that filter they mentioned. Id recommend not running it until its repaired.

The next question is what clogged up the filter? That question will be tough to answer . It is a gamble on your part as to how much life the unit has. It could run for years or have another failure soon. It may be worth a shot though.
    They said it could be due to installation error by the installer or I think they said valves coming loose in the compressor and clogging the filter, but they'd like to check it out first obviously.

Post Likes
    Ok, they are coming out next week. Any suggestions/ideas/things to look out for?

Post Likes
    Ask to see the Technicians Credentials. They are in the form of wallet cards.

It would be nice if they hold a State issued HVAC Tradesmans license, and/or NATE certification in servicing (not only installing) your type of equipment.

These would be in addition to the mandatory EPA certification to legally handle refrigerants.

Post Likes
    Might be time to get some new equiment. How old is the unit? And is it a heat pump? Could be a small problem. Need some more information to figure out what could be wrong.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    No heat pump. Under 5 years old. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I don't see a little can on the skinny line which someone mentioned could be the cause. It goes all the way into the outside unit with the can.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I don't see a little can on the skinny line which someone mentioned could be the cause. It goes all the way into the outside unit with the can.
    Sometimes the filter drier (little can) can be located in tough to see places, try a google search for "refrigerant filter drier" that may give you a better indication of what you are looking for. Even if you found it, it's not something replaceable by a home owner. Did you take a temperature reading of the little line? Or just by feel

Post Likes
    Oh, I'm not doing this myself. I know what I'm not capable of, just trying to know as much as possible before they come next week. I just touched the line and it was cold and had condensation. From my understanding, the insulated line should be cold and the skinny warm. My other unit which works great is opposite of this one.

Post Likes
    Just searched for "refrigerant filter drier" and that's what I tried to find on my system, but don't see it anywhere. My neighbor's is right on the line as it leaves the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Just searched for "refrigerant filter drier" and that's what I tried to find on my system, but don't see it anywhere. My neighbor's is right on the line as it leaves the outdoor unit.
    Might be "inside" the unit, look down inside of it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I was thinking that, but seemed like that would have been a PITA to install. I'll check when I get home. Thank you!

Post Likes
    So to sum up. I'll turn on the AC and I hear the compressor turn on. The skinny line gets cold and the air inside never gets cold even though I hear the compressor running. I then hear the compressor kind of sputter and I can feel the unit slightly vibrate at this point if I'm touching it. Right after this the compressor stops and the fan keeps going. From researching it could be that the compressor is falling apart or that it's overheating because something is clogged. If it is overheating would the fan turn off also?

Post Likes
    And I forgot to mention that a couple of years ago the compressor wouldn't turn on at all and they put some kit on it to get it running. It was a little can with wires coming out of it. It eventually turned on and was REALLY loud for awhile, but quieted down and worked fine since then. Was that the beginning of the end?

Post Likes
    Stop running it. Or you will damage the compressor. Have a tech come out and find the problem and fix it now before it becomes more expensive.

Post Likes
    I finally looked at it this weekend. There is no cylinder anywhere on either line. I looked inside the unit and the lines all the way to the inside unit. Nothing. So if they can't replace the drier, I assume they should install one, but does that make this likely worse/more expensive? So it's possibly a clog inside of something harder to fix? They're coming Friday, so I have a few days to understand this. TY.

Post Likes
    As mentioned... do not run this unit until it is checked out
    Depending on its age... you may be in for a new system... Not trying to spend your $$$... rather prepare you for what may (or may not) happen.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I'm not running it. It isn't even 5 years old yet.

Post Likes
    If the "skinny line" is colder than the outdoor ambient temp, there is a restriction. Nothing else could cause that.
    -Marty

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in