Goodman condensor replacement question

I have a Goodman 14 Seer 5 ton unit. The compressor has gone bad and is out of warranty. Below is the data tag. It is a SSX1460 with 410A type freon. A family member works for wholesaler in another state and provided the equipment to me and I had a a local HVAC contractor install it. Unfortunately the product was not registered with goodman at the time of install so my warranty options are limited (that original contractor not in business any longer too). The quote to replace just the compressor seemed excessive so I contacted the same family member to cross check and get his opinion. Granted that person does not have a good working knowledge of the residential side as he focuses on commercial side of business and he fairly far up the management chain. He suggested just replacing the outside condenser unit and that he could provide it relatively inexpensively and I would have someone local install. So I took pictures of the data tag;
    Name:  goodman tag  condensor exterior.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  39.8 KB
    But the replacement he sent is a GSX130601 which is a 13 Seer 5 ton unit which also uses the 410A freon with the data tag below.
    Name:  20130808_092348 (1).jpg
Views: 75
Size:  42.5 KB
    I know the 13 seer is less efficient (I wonder how much). But above and beyond that is it even compatible with my existing coil? Also not sure if how that effects warranty too. Footprint of 13 seer is considerably smaller that 14 too. Any input would be appreciated. Family member did as favor and even though they dropped ball hate going back to him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What killed the original compressor?

the capacitor went bad

so now I am told that the new replacement 13 seer condenser is compatible with the existing coil that came with the original 14 seer order. But I am wondering just how much less efficient this is going to be. Also there were post out there that said that my existing SSX product was more quiet and better than the new GSX models.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-08-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: non AOP Pro Member

Yes local dealer contacted goodman and confirmed that the new condenser and old evaporator are compatible. only downside is less seer. There is apparently no 14 seer units now just 14.5. So I will be effectively downgrading to a 13 seer from 14. Online seer calculators show a annual cost to operate difference of about $65 with a 5 ton unit in my particular location. so I am going to go ahead and but what concerns me is the that the new 13 seer unit is considerably smaller in size and footprint that the existing 14 I am replacing. It is actually the about the same size/stature as the 3 ton 14 seer that serves my upstairs already installed that sits next to the unit in question.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 08-08-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billatl View Post
    the capacitor went bad
    BS, with a capital BS.
    Something else killed the compressor.

Did the same installing company tell you that?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

23musicman

hopefully the replaced the capacitor let the compressor cool off and rechecked it
    We really need change now