Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leak Lock Bandit Strikes Again

So the high side Schrader leaks. I was able to immediately identify it as the cause of the leak because the service valve cap was put on with leak lock and covered with oil. Plus it leaks so bad, that once the compressor and fan shut off, you can hear it hissing.

So I go to change it, but unfortunately there is so much leak lock in there, I can't even get my core tool on it. Plus that stuff is dried rock hard. Finally after about 10 minutes of picking out rock hard leak lock with a screwdriver, I was able to get my core remover on there and change it.

Name:  170613171445.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  75.6 KB

Looks like a broken off stub waiting to happen...I hate that crap with a passion.

The blue goo has it's place, but not someplace like that where it would have been easily repairable.

I also found a unit with leak lock smeared all over the schrader fitting, kind of like that one. The difference was that it was one of those big oversized fittings that carrier uses on some of their rooftop units. It still leaked, but at least I could understand it in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    The blue goo has it's place, but not someplace
    In the trash can...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I bet a tube lasts me 1 year+. There is a time and place for it and used improperly, it is a freaking pain! I had an idiot tech PAINT this on most of the service valves in a parallel rack, not in the threads of caps, just painted the outside! Imagine my excitement walking into this.

I like a little in the threads of of new brass service ports, not only to seal, it acts like a thread locker. Mind you, I use very little.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    In the trash can...
    I was thinking on the sheet at the parts store. Haha.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371608082.219966.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  36.5 KB
    This is where it belongs.

Well now I ruined it for everyone, my boss found out about this, and now we aren't allowed to use leak lock anymore.

Oil plugs and pipe thread fittings for pressure controls on semi-hermetic compressors. Nylog on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Oil plugs and pipe thread fittings for pressure controls on semi-hermetic compressors. Nylog on the rest.
    NOOOOO not the brass fittings on the compressor!!!! That's a bleeder for sure trying to get it out!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    NOOOOO not the brass fittings on the compressor!!!! That's a bleeder for sure trying to get it out!
    Why would I try to get them out ? They are a pipe thread to SAE fitting. Never had to remove one accept to reuse it on a compressor change out. At that point there is nothing to leak out
    Last edited by VTP99; 06-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.

That's why I love my tubing pinch tool. Can replace those stub access fittings without pulling all the gas out.
    I do three kinds of work.
    1 - Good - 2 - Fast - 3 - Cheap
    Pick two

I thought I worked with the only guy that did leak lock art. It won't hold up on r22 for some reason. Nylon won't hold up when it gets too cold. Loctite 554 is the only thing I have found to hold up in extreme temps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast