Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SC57 and magnets

Ok I want to glue some magnets to my SC57, I have done this to my old UEI, and the new UEI came with one. SO I want to glue some small ones to my SC57 and want to know if any one has done this and if so have they had any problems.

No one has any thoughts ?
    If it works with the UEI, Why wouldn't it be ok with the FP ?

You should try it and let me know if it screws with your meter.. . I've been wanting to do this for a while but afraid it will mess with my meter (SC56).

I know the UEI and the fieldpiece HS36 as a protector built into the meter where the magnet goes to protect the meters electronics.

Some one must have already tried it. We can't be the only ones who need a magnet, I suppose we could rig a sling or something, BUT it hasn't had any adverse effect on the UEI. Maybe Fieldpiece should commission us to do a "trial" run for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    You should try it and let me know if it screws with your meter.. . I've been wanting to do this for a while but afraid it will mess with my meter (SC56).

I know the UEI and the fieldpiece HS36 as a protector built into the meter where the magnet goes to protect the meters electronics.

I JB Welded two big stereo speaker magnets to the back of my gauges so I can throw them on a side of an RTU. But as for any of my meters I haven't tried it.
    Guess you could do double sided velcro to apply the magnet(s) and experiment with that first before attempting something permanent. Not sure if Fieldpiece shields theirs or not, but obviously that have a magnet that is on the back of their HS36, I have, that doesn't seem to give any ill effect.

What I am going to do is glue a strap or a piece of belt to the back of the meter, then glue a magnet to the other end of the strap. That is the plan for now. Still no adverse effects with the Sperry or the UEI that I glued the magnets to. I have a suction cup that the glazers use to carry glass. I stick that on the side of something and hang my gauges from that.

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    I JB Welded two big stereo speaker magnets to the back of my gauges so I can throw them on a side of an RTU. But as for any of my meters I haven't tried it.
    Guess you could do double sided velcro to apply the magnet(s) and experiment with that first before attempting something permanent. Not sure if Fieldpiece shields theirs or not, but obviously that have a magnet that is on the back of their HS36, I have, that doesn't seem to give any ill effect.

Try the search function. This has been discussed and Russell hardju responded

Russell has said before placing magnets right against a DMM can mess up readings. If the mfr. does not make a magnetic strap, you might try making one yourself.

Yes he pretty much said that it might not be a good thing to do. The strap is "curing" now, I will put it on the meter tomorrow with E6000. BTW, I needed a new belt anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Russell has said before placing magnets right against a DMM can mess up readings. If the mfr. does not make a magnetic strap, you might try making one yourself.

Doesn't the sc57 have a swivel camp? Thinking about doing something like that for my meter. Pics when your done please.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Wonder if you could just fix some Mu Metal as a shied on the back of the case.
    I like the meters I have with the magnets built in vs a strap.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Yes it has a swivel clamp, haven't even tried it yet. Too damned worried about the magnetic holder. I will be happy to post pictures as soon as I get "er" done.
    The meter has lots of nice bells and whistles, everything was well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Doesn't the sc57 have a swivel camp? Thinking about doing something like that for my meter. Pics when your done please.

when I got my sc56, I thought i was gonna want the magnet feature, but I really haven't missed it....there's always something to hang it on.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast