Confused CVHE R-11 Condensor problems

Have an old R-11 CVHE which is now having high head problems. Running at about 8 psi, I know all the reasons that could cause this prolem. Did the temp-pressure chart deal, saturated cond. liquid temp @ about 80 degrees which should be 1.5 psi cond. pressure. Just did some leak repairs, was able to pull a 500 micron vacuum and hold it. Just can't believe that it is sucking in air. My purge has not pumped out at all. Have other issues also, flow is not at design, delta p is about 4-5, design is 8.3 psi. Tower approach is really wacked out as well, 48 degree w.b. with a leaving tower water temp of 80. My condenser approach is anywhere from 12-14 degrees. I realize there are other issues, but can having tower problems, flow problems, and/or fouled tubes sqew my temp-pressure relationship. Common sense tells me I have got non-condensables, but can my other problems look like this? Thanks for your guys help!!

You have alot of stuff going on so you have to start somewhere ,you need to figure out flow problem , tower issues, than check your tubes and then when the approach is good you can have a better ideal what the condensor is doing.

What kind of purge is on this ? Purifier, if so what vintage, doesnt sound to me like the purge is working, granted you have a lot going on but I would start with the purge and check all the strainers for your cond water pumps and towers.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

our cvhe r11 readings are typically tower water in 80 out 90 with 6-8 psi for the condenser.
    and an approach of 5-10

if your tower water entering the chiller is 80 and your saturation temp is 80 you are not moving any heat are you sure you have the correct reading for saturation temp use your guages and compare to ems or control panel readings

give us all your readings

cw in
    cw out
    cond sat temp
    chw in
    chw out
    evap sat temp
    cw leaving head psi
    chw leaving head ppsi
    cooling setpoint
    Last edited by skorepeo; 03-21-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Got a couple of extra questions for you: what percent load are you? Full load- partial load. Your concerned about purge or air in the machine, what is your system air temp? Dicharge temp minus drop leg liquid refrigerant temp (I take mine before the economizer). What is your delta acorss your barrel? What gpm are you running? What is your evap pressures/temps? You mentioned that you pulled the macine down to 500 micron vacuum. Was this after 12-24 hour rise period? Are you experiencing any high-end surges? Sounds kind of like flow restrictions or fouled tubes, approach being higher, however air in the machine can give similar issues. Hopefully, these and the other posts can help, get all your info. & post back. Let us know what you find. By the way, what type of repairs did you do to the machine?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Quote Originally Posted by jschaible View Post
    Have an old R-11 CVHE which is now having high head problems. Running at about 8 psi, I know all the reasons that could cause this prolem. Did the temp-pressure chart deal, saturated cond. liquid temp @ about 80 degrees which should be 1.5 psi cond. pressure. Just did some leak repairs, was able to pull a 500 micron vacuum and hold it. Just can't believe that it is sucking in air. My purge has not pumped out at all. Have other issues also, flow is not at design, delta p is about 4-5, design is 8.3 psi. Tower approach is really wacked out as well, 48 degree w.b. with a leaving tower water temp of 80. My condenser approach is anywhere from 12-14 degrees. I realize there are other issues, but can having tower problems, flow problems, and/or fouled tubes sqew my temp-pressure relationship. Common sense tells me I have got non-condensables, but can my other problems look like this? Thanks for your guys help!!
    i would question your vacuum or you got air in it when you were re-charging. my guess is the latter. poor water flows and large approach temps will affect the chiller heat transfer...but not the p-t relationship. purge may/may not be working...did you reopen the purge valves?

you definitely have issues, but finding them is half the problem and i am sure that you will get those solved. as far as the air...you need to get rid of it of course. perform a complete check out of the purge according to the purge IOM. then get your cond water under control. if you get your tower under control first...it will help, but you can work on this while your purge is getting the air out.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

I agree with chillrdude. Get tower problem fixed then look at purge. The old purifiers had cores in them that would crumble up and clog up the unit.