Thread: R410 air handler working with R22 condenser?

Post Likes

R410 air handler working with R22 condenser?

I have a 9-yr old SEER 10 Carrier heat pump. Due to freon leakage, about 6 months ago, the contractor hired by my home warranty company replaced the indoor air handler with a Payne PF4MN model which is designed for R410. The outdoor R22 unit was not replaced. The contractor charged the system with R22 at the time of installation (which we found out recently).

We are not under home warranty any more. When the temperature started to rise about a month ago, we found out that the air that came out of the AC is not cool. We had a couple contractors over to take a look and was told that it is because the outdoor unit is incompatible with the indoor unit. When we went back to the insurance company, we were told that when they replaced the air handler, they installed an expansion valve KSATX0601, provided by Carrier, which allows my 410A fan coil to work properly in an R22 system. Therefore, they claim it's not their problem. Is what they are saying true? What options do We have? Some contractors told me that we have to replace the entire system including the new air handler, and others say that They can install a new condenser while keeping the current air handler - Two models quoted are Payne PH15NB03000G and Carrier 25HCC530A003, both in the $ range - cheaper than replacing the entire heat pump. my question is Will these two condensers work with the Payne PF4MN air handler I have given that I currently have R22 in my current system? Will that create any problem in the future? I was told by one of the contractors that my current PF4M air handler is designed for a SEER 13 condenser. If I match it with a 15 SEER condenser, I won't be able to get the efficiency benefit. Is that true? I'll be grateful for your advice?
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-17-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Yes that coil is fine IF the proper tx was installed

Options include finding the problem with your system or starting over

If you go with just a new condenser you can use the same air handler but I would replace at a minimum the indoor coil but would recommend changing the line set as well

Cheapest option have a QUALIFIED tech not a parts changer or salesman come out and fix your system I would recommend useing the contractor locator on here to find said tech

Post Likes
    As long as they actually installed the TXV for R22, no problem with that air handler being used with an R22 condenser.

Post Likes
    So we may not have any system compatibility issues? The problem we have - air coming out not cool - may be due to something else, i e. even if we replace the condenser, we may still be having the problem?

In addition, would it be better (worth the extra cost ) to install a Carrier 13 SEER condenser to go with a Payne air handler or use the corresponding Payne condenser 13 SEER also?

Thanks for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As long as they actually installed the TXV for R22, no problem with that air handler being used with an R22 condenser.

Post Likes
    Most likely it is something else. Sounds like the companies you had out, just saw what they thought would be an easy sell.

Either the Carrier and Payne would work find as far as compatibility.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you have an installation problem not a unit problem.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    Another technician came by today and measured the freon level. He said that it's low on the inside but high on the outside. Does that give you any clue as to the source of the problem?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Yz678 View Post
    Another technician came by today and measured the freon level. He said that it's low on the inside but high on the outside. Does that give you any clue as to the source of the problem?
    Ah, someone keeps sending the wrong techs out to you.

Post Likes
    ... are there any AOP contractors near you according to the locator?

your system needs to be serviced and repaired. the condenser/air handler combo you have with the TXV reported (if it's actually installed) should work well. high outside, and low inside makes no sense, not enough information to tell what's happening.

this is going to take a DIAGNOSTIC technician. not a parts changer, or a gas and go tech. someone who actually understands refrigeration.

a new matched system would solve the problems, IF THE SYSTEM IS SIZED TO THE HOME PROPERLY! but that's going the long way around the barn.

and, yes, if you installed a 15 SEER system, it would need to be a match indoor and outdoor, along with the blower unit. most 15SEER systems require VS blowers.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    you need to replace the tech

Post Likes
    A question to the other techs, if a TXV wasnt installed could the orifice make it so the oil was backing up in the condensor and not enough getting through to the coil?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    A question to the other techs, if a TXV wasnt installed could the orifice make it so the oil was backing up in the condensor and not enough getting through to the coil?
    No, not really. If its an undersized orifice, it would give the symptoms of a restriction.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, not really. If its an undersized orifice, it would give the symptoms of a restriction.
    kind of what he has. I think he means his
    pressures on the low side are too low and his high side pressures are high, classic restriction. tech should confirm proper match of condenser and inside coil. if all good if it be me I would evac system possible catamites' and at the same time change out TXV. I would install new 22 . That's assuming no air flow problems or line set leaks.

So to fix this mess the right way lots of time consuming work. it's summer and companies are busy. They may have to drop other calls to do you justice so don't expect to get it done on the cheap, and if you did or do you have the wrong company or guy out there

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in