Thread: ptac question

ptac question

I am a general contractor and have done numerous thru-the-wall installations of window units over the years. I am wanting to install a ptac unit in my office--with heat pump and resistance heat. I have been reading thru the forum on ptac units and I find a lot of the pros with differing and often conflicting recommendations over issues with noise levels and reliability. I don't seem to find any consensus on what would be the best brand to recommend. In my research I found the Hybrid ACW brand which claims to have the longest warranty of any ptac (5 years) and has a Samsung rotary compressor. I live in central Tx (Bryan) and the only Hybrid dealer is in Dallas--the only place I can have it serviced under warranty.

My questions: Is anyone in this forum familiar with the Hybrid brand and it's function and reliability--the price delivered to me is consistant with other brands? Is there an honest single recommendation of just one of the other available brands (eg: LG, Fredrichs, GE, GREE, Hitachi, etc.) that would be considered a 'best buy'?

Thanks.
    Doug

Never heard of it.

I like the GE 6100 for several reasons:

They are the quietest units I've heard. LG comes in 2nd. Almost all Amanas I've experienced were noisy or had other issues. Only Gree I've experienced make a lot of groaning noises in the refrigerant cycle. Haven't heard a late model Friedrich or seen a Hitachi.

The 6100 brings on backup and leaves the compressor running like a conventional split. The rest shut off the compressor and go strips only, more expensive operating costs.

We hate working on these glorified window shakers. GE has a service fleet and handles warranties too so we sell and forget them.

Looking at the web, the Hybrid 52M sorta looks like a Gree. The 52P I can't quite tell whose it is.

ptac

Thanks.

So far the only source for the GE is in Houston. I haven't found a dealer here locally. It seems that most of these units don't go above 15k btu cooling. Does the GE 6100 series go any higher--like 18k or so? Also, what is the warranty on the GE? Is there an extended warranty available?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Never heard of it.

I like the GE 6100 for several reasons:

They are the quietest units I've heard. LG comes in 2nd. Almost all Amanas I've experienced were noisy or had other issues. Only Gree I've experienced make a lot of groaning noises in the refrigerant cycle. Haven't heard a late model Friedrich or seen a Hitachi.

The 6100 brings on backup and leaves the compressor running like a conventional split. The rest shut off the compressor and go strips only, more expensive operating costs.

We hate working on these glorified window shakers. GE has a service fleet and handles warranties too so we sell and forget them.

Looking at the web, the Hybrid 52M sorta looks like a Gree. The 52P I can't quite tell whose it is.

15k is about it on a PTAC. I'm thinking 5 years on the refrigeration system and 1 year on other parts. Labor the same.

what kind of location do you have. You could put in a ductless mini split. They are quiet

Thanks.

I'm cooling about 600 sq'. With the nearest GE dealer over 100 mi away and prices evidently around $ on 6100 + sleeve-etc. + shipping or pick up + installation, I may be at about what a mini split might cost. It seems as though there are a lot of players in the market. HomeDepot sells a Ramsond 24K as a kit and from the reviews several DIY's did the set-fit-wiring and borrowed a vacuum pump to dehydrate the lines and did the installation. I'll be calling local AC mechanics to see what a mini split might cost. Any suggestions on brands most reliable and/or best value. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    what kind of location do you have. You could put in a ductless mini split. They are quiet
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-21-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: removed pricing

Additional question. If I have a single zone unit installed (24K), can I add another zone to the same compressor in the future? Thanks.

I believe that you can set them up for multiple evaps. theres alot of piping tho. Not too bad. I had a job in an old century home a few years back, and they had a stacked minisplit with 6 evaps running on it for the upstairs of the home. contact a dealer, or just google it for some more info.

Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    +1 spend the extra and go with a mini split. Just get a pro to put it in.

Unless you have major space issues, why not put in a small 1.5 ton conventional split system in corner, build a closet around the air hander with a couple large commerical grills near the ceiling.