Where to look for other contractors...

My brother hired a York dealer who installed a hybrid system for him (my brother heats on propane) and the company totally screwed my brother. His hybrid part never worked (the heat pump) and he was always heating on a gas. What a joke.

I've looked at a couple online contractor directories, but they want you to fill out forms and such. Where should homeowners go to look up companies along with their credentials?

Yelp is out - they filter reviews based on what companies pay them. Angies List says they don't charge, but they do. None of these are really truthful.

talking to friends, family and neighbors will usually be your best bet.

any of the online directories will probably be based on who pays to play.

We have a contractor locator map on this site. Check it out.

IMO, contractors who take time to be a part of this site are generally top notch. They care about the industry and the customer.

Sweet. Just checked out the link. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KentBoudreau View Post
    My brother hired a York dealer who installed a hybrid system for him (my brother heats on propane) and the company totally screwed my brother. His hybrid part never worked (the heat pump) and he was always heating on a gas. What a joke.

I've looked at a couple online contractor directories, but they want you to fill out forms and such. Where should homeowners go to look up companies along with their credentials?

Yelp is out - they filter reviews based on what companies pay them. Angies List says they don't charge, but they do. None of these are really truthful.

If you find a good contractor, maybe they can fix your brothers unit. I have a Hybrid system in my home. Works great. A heat pump is more or less just an AC with a reversing valve and a defrost board. I wonder if it's primarily a controls problem. If the heat pumps works in cooling mode, no reason it shouldn't heat too.