Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OK Jon,

First... good idea on the media filter(s)... might look up 'AirBear' filters... they come in a variety of names (generalair, protech, etc... the filters are the cheapest cartridges to buy for replacement.

On that corner on the supply side... need a radiused corner with turn vanes inside... that bend you have there will create as much as .15 static all by itself... Not a good thing...

I agree with you on the dual media filters... the less static, the better airflow.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    On that corner on the supply side... need a radiused corner with turn vanes inside... that bend you have there will create as much as .15 static all by itself... Not a good thing...
    Are you referring to the new supply plenum design or the old supply plenum design? There will be turning vanes in the 90 as well. Let me know because I am interested in making this the best I can.

Thanks
    jonblack

Thanks for the recommendation on the Air Bear filters. I got a couple of spare filters when I got the filter cabinets, but I will always need a good source of cost-effective filters in the future. I have two Carrier FILCABs at home and the price of the Carrier branded filters is pretty stiff.

jonblack

Posts # 25 & 26... I think that would be the new one...

That edge with the 45D panel... IMO it should be a continuous radius. The inside of the corner should be a small radius. A good sheetmetal shop will know this fitting.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBA&dur=478

Towards the bottom, you will see 'vertical elbow' and 'horizontal elbow'... this is the better way to do it... and not that hard to build.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...r=759#imgdii=_

In this picture you will see a 'long way elbow' in the lower center.

Last week I built a combination of a horizontal elbow and a square to round (all in one piece) in about 1.5 hours without a shop. Granted it was not as pretty as something that came from a shop, however it flowed air VERY smoothly. And yes, it has 3 turn vanes in it...
    The story behind it was cleaning up a hacked in install someone else did... lowered static pressure considerably from a series of ductboard boxes.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by jonblack View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Air Bear filters. I got a couple of spare filters when I got the filter cabinets, but I will always need a good source of cost-effective filters in the future. I have two Carrier FILCABs at home and the price of the Carrier branded filters is pretty stiff.

jonblack
    The AirBear is a different design of media filter (the whole thing, cabinet and all). The filter is a cardboard pleated unit... looks like a 1", yet 5" thick. Their 20x25x5 is rated to flow 2000 CFM's... their 16x25x5 is rated to flow 1400 CFM's. I use this design because the filters are cheap... which gives me an advantage doing service down the road.

IMO it is a better value for my customers to fit them with a filter unit that uses cheap filters... than one which uses expensive filters (like the Carrier or the AprilAir).

OTOH: When I have a customer with a child with serious medical issues... we use the Honeywell TrueClean filter... the cartridges are around $75... Yeah, high... However the kids sleep like babies... which is a relief to a parent of a medically challenged kid...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

OK. So you are, in fact, referring to my updated supply plenum. Funny thing is, when I went to visit the sheet metal shop the first time I told them I wanted a 90 with radiused heel and throat. They said they usually just make a 90 with turning vanes. Today when I asked them if they would put some sheet metal in the long side of the 90 to smooth that out he said he would just make it like I have it drawn. He flipped open a book with different 90 designs and showed me that design I have depicted.

Not to fuss too much (the sheet metal guy has been enjoyable to work with), but I don't understand why he wouldn't have just agreed to make the radiused 90 and add turning vanes. I will email him and ask him if he will do that for me.

I feel like sometimes people just do what they do, even if there is something better that isn't necessarily harder or more expensive.

jonblack

Here is one work in progress photo.

What is the best way to clean hand prints off of the sheet metal? Acetone seems to evaporate too quickly and does wipe the fingerprints right off. What do you guys use?

jonblack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123