Anyone seen these in restaurants yet?

Any of you seen these Delfield's Versa Drawer refrigerated bases yet:

Name:  delversa.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  27.2 KB

Each drawer has its own evaporator. Each one uses electronic line & air temp sensors and a pressure transducer - but a conventional TEV instead of an EEV. Each drawer can be a freezer, cooler, chiller or to thaw product - simply by pushing a few buttons on a control board.

Two drawer units have a typical condenser except there's are two solenoid valves for each evaporator - a liquid line and a hot gas bypass. It uses hot gas to defrost. A four drawer unit has TWO compressors.

The unit can be connected to WiFi. It gives an alarm for an array of faults. For instance, the one I like is that it tells them the drawer was left open.

Is each drawer space sealed from the other? If so can you imagine climbing in that little space to pull the fan motor! Serious, these drawer coolers should be outlawed already!

No one cares about fixin' er up. It will never break until 20 years from now and it goes to auction and someone puts the wrong components in it! Sorry about the rant, I just hate older refer calls. It looks like a cool piece of restaurant equipment and very usefull on a line. All that stuff is difficult to service unless they empty it and move it to a service area, how often does that happen?
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Is each drawer space sealed from the other? If so can you imagine climbing in that little space to pull the fan motor! Serious, these drawer coolers should be outlawed already!
    I know what you mean. I've serviced many drawer units used by a certain popular chain restaurant that prefers their locations by interstates.

In the drawer units at those restaurants, the "ICK!" factor increases exponentially once you see the CEILING of the box from having food contact many times over due to overfilled pans. About the nastiest thing I've ever seen in restaurants.

Yet, to see it simply to know it happens AND in order to clean it, somebody working there must to lay down on their nasty floor. They're not going to do THAT!

BTW...I don't eat at those restaurants.

Oh...and to replace a fan motor, to melt down frozen coils or to replace a TEV, accessing the evaporator on OLDER units requires removing upper & lower drawers, then unbolting the carriage assembly (which is like a cage). That's not too bad. On those, the evaporator was...ahem..."conveniently" located in the middle.
    However, from what I could tell from the parts illustration, the evaporator assembles for these Versa Drawer units have been moved to the BACK wall. So, YES, even something as simple as replacing a failed temperature probe looks like a REAL treat.

And I thought it couldn't get any worse than those 10# **** in a 5# Traulsen...... OMG!!!!!!

Looks like a service call waiting to happen. It's a Delfield. Won't last more than 4 years anyway
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

i like true for the simple fact that you can take the top off

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    i like true for the simple fact that you can take the top off
    Well, that works good for prep or work top units, but drawer units usually have hundreds of lbs of grill sitting on top of them.

I'd proposed the question because I've never seen this setup by any other manufacturer and wondered to what extent their engineers' degree of "idiocy" had taken us.

Delfield was Manitowoc's choice in their "acquired" line of restaurant equipment a few years back - competing with other conglomerates such as Unified Brands, Illinois Tool Works (ITW), Fisher & Paykel - among others out there.

Delfield always tends to be "unconventional" compared to the rest of the industry. Their equipment seems sort of "cheesy" compared to others. From their use of plastic door inner skins, plastic doorjambs, their unconventional (yet durable and easy to replace) door gaskets (if their doors close right), tap-screw assembly of everything - to their to their C-frame condenser motors, plastic fan grills and nonconventional condenser coil setups. Their products "as a whole" wreaks with a design entirely intended for minimal effort required for assembly - to get it out the door for delivery to a destination.

So anyway, with all considered in their "overall design" in the first place, their coming out with an innovative product such as Versa Drawer strikes at the customer's anticipated immediate needs without consideration for longevity and service needs/expense in the long term.

A limited life expectancy is probably part of the equipment design - like any of our major purchases nowadays. With that, technology has nearly enabled manufacturers to more accurately establish that time clock.

"Integrity" has uniformly been designed OUT of equipment in our new world of "immediate gratification."

Ahem... I think I'm ranting now.

Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    Well, that works good for prep or work top units, but drawer units usually have hundreds of lbs of grill sitting on top of them.

I'd proposed the question because I've never seen this setup by any other manufacturer and wondered to what extent their engineers' degree of "idiocy" had taken us.

Delfield was Manitowoc's choice in their "acquired" line of restaurant equipment a few years back - competing with other conglomerates such as Unified Brands, Illinois Tool Works (ITW), Fisher & Paykel - among others out there.

Delfield always tends to be "unconventional" compared to the rest of the industry. Their equipment seems sort of "cheesy" compared to others. From their use of plastic door inner skins, plastic doorjambs, their unconventional (yet durable and easy to replace) door gaskets (if their doors close right), tap-screw assembly of everything - to their to their C-frame condenser motors, plastic fan grills and nonconventional condenser coil setups. Their products "as a whole" wreaks with a design entirely intended for minimal effort required for assembly - to get it out the door for delivery to a destination.

So anyway, with all considered in their "overall design" in the first place, their coming out with an innovative product such as Versa Drawer strikes at the customer's anticipated immediate needs without consideration for longevity and service needs/expense in the long term.

A limited life expectancy is probably part of the equipment design - like any of our major purchases nowadays. With that, technology has nearly enabled manufacturers to more accurately establish that time clock.

"Integrity" has uniformly been designed OUT of equipment in our new world of "immediate gratification."

Ahem... I think I'm ranting now.
    Your right and I always said the same thing. I'll be back with another another guy and we will pull your grill off and get this fixed

lol Delfield has a hard enough time keeping thier simple OEM controls from malfunctioning or throwing out NTC thermistors . i can't imagine how they are going to manage all that off a transducer without freezing the mayonnaise and thawing the hamburger meat every other month

Thanks for the heads up though, ill be sure to have up the grossly long PDF of fault codes and parameter resets on the tablet before i even walk into the restaurant for that service call.