Condenser fan motors and Capacitor wiring

Condenser fan motors and Capacitor wiring

Most of the time when I'm replacing a condenser fan motor, I'm replacing a motor that has 3 leads Black (to T1), Red (to T2) and Brown (to Fan on the dual run capacitor). Sometimes I'll have to use a Universal motor that has Black, White (Red) and 2 cap leads...one with a white stripe, one without). I usually just get the right size (5 or 7.5mfd) cap and, hook the Brown leads to it, then Black to T1 and White (Red) to T2.

I should know the answer to this, and I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but isn't there a better way to do this? On the motor with Black, White and 2 Browns, why can't I connect Black to T1, Plain Brown to Fan on the dual run capacitor and tie White (Red) together with the Brown wire with a white stripe together and put it on T2? Obviously I'd make sure the dual run cap was the right capacitance and still in good shape. If Common on the dual run cap was getting it's juice from T1, wouldn't that work?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kchest4063 View Post

I should know the answer to this, and I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but isn't there a better way to do this? On the motor with Black, White and 2 Browns, why can't I connect Black to T1, Plain Brown to Fan on the dual run capacitor and tie White (Red) together with the Brown wire with a white stripe together and put it on T2?
    The "White" and "Brown with White stripe" are the same wire.

Just put the "White" wire on the "C" terminal of the capacitor or T2 on the contactor, and put a wire nut on the "Brown with White Stripe wire. It is not needed when using a dual capacitor.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

white and brown w/ white stripe are one and the same
    ohm them out and you'll see they ohm out zero ohms

putting a wire nut on the brown w/ white stripe and not connecting it to an
    Extend to others the grace that God has given you.

Thanks guys, that makes a lot of sense. I was making it harder than it needed to be.