Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new tech with questions about walkin freezer

Hello, i have a few questions about a walking freezer.

i have a 6ft by 8ft walkin freezer with 404a in it (factory sized and Installed)
    it had a small leak in the receiver and had to have it replaced.
    cost me over 800$ to replace the receiver evacuate and recharge system with 404a.
    the unit will not get below 14f degrees at night and below 19 during the day time.

i put some gauges on it and the low side is 24# and the high side is 275# in the mid afternoon with ambient air temperature of 92f.

The unit runs 24 hours a day until it goes into defrost twice daily.
    The evaporator coil is not iced over and air flow is very good.
    The condensor also has good airflow and is in the shade inside its covered housing.

there are no bubbles in the sight glass and it is full of liquid.

what can be done to see if the unit if working properly, the technician that did the repair is reputable but he charges $ just to come look at a unit.

i have gauges and i am 608 certified to purchase refrigerant and repair small refrigeration units that i currently own. i just dont know about bigger units like walkin freezers and such.

i appreciate any help you can offer.

thank you
    robert lowery
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 06-16-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: removed pricing

Maybe if it quits walking it will be able to cool better.....

If u just paid 800 dollars to a pro why not call him back?
    24 lbs. is about -12 coil, so you should hit 0 degree box with that. Your sh must be to high. What is it at coil and compressor?

You beat me to it!

Yep, first is a SH check. With that info the troubleshooting begins!
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

Quote Originally Posted by robert lowery View Post
    Hello, i have a few questions about a walking freezer.

i have a 6ft by 8ft walkin freezer with 404a in it (factory sized and Installed)
    it had a small leak in the receiver and had to have it replaced.
    cost me over 800$ to replace the receiver evacuate and recharge system with 404a.
    the unit will not get below 14f degrees at night and below 19 during the day time.

i put some gauges on it and the low side is 24# and the high side is 275# in the mid afternoon with ambient air temperature of 92f.

The unit runs 24 hours a day until it goes into defrost twice daily.
    The evaporator coil is not iced over and air flow is very good.
    The condensor also has good airflow and is in the shade inside its covered housing.

there are no bubbles in the sight glass and it is full of liquid.

what can be done to see if the unit if working properly, the technician that did the repair is reputable but he charges 200$ just to come look at a unit.

i have gauges and i am 608 certified to purchase refrigerant and repair small refrigeration units that i currently own. i just dont know about bigger units like walkin freezers and such.

i appreciate any help you can offer.

thank you
    robert lowery
    No offense, but just because you are certified to purchase refrigerant doesn't mean you're qualified to work on it.

Suggestion: call back the contractor and tell them that the problem still exists, and you need it to be repaired.

Agreed there is something going on that needs to get taken care of.

Door seals ok? Did they replace liquid line dryer? Is sight glass before or after dryer? Before the receiver was replaced what temp would it achieve? What's your set point?

yes the door seals are ok, yes they replaced the drier, the sight glass is before the drier, before replacing the receiver the unit would get to 5f.
    at this writing the unit is 27.2 f inside temp
    suction pressure 24#
    temp at suction line service valve is 53.2f
    temp at high side service valve is 86.5f
    i mentioned that i was 608 certified as i have repaired my small appliances, beer boxes, chest freezers etc. i have no experience with large refrig units. i was just asking if there was something i could do without the expense of calling a service tech out as they are rather expensive for something small if that is the case.
    thank you for your help
    Robert lowery

65 degrees sh will not work. You have a starved system

Quote Originally Posted by robert lowery View Post
    yes the door seals are ok, yes they replaced the drier, the sight glass is before the drier, before replacing the receiver the unit would get to 5f.
    at this writing the unit is 27.2 f inside temp
    suction pressure 24#
    temp at suction line service valve is 53.2f
    temp at high side service valve is 86.5f

i mentioned that i was 608 certified as i have repaired my small appliances, beer boxes, chest freezers etc. i have no experience with large refrig units. i was just asking if there was something i could do without the expense of calling a service tech out as they are rather expensive for something small if that is the case.
    thank you for your help
    Robert lowery
    With your aforementioned pressures and those temperatures, you have air in there... Call the guy back and tell him it's not fixed. He shouldn't charge you this time around.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Big refrigeration is just like little refrigeration. Moves heat the same way. Requires the same temps to achieve desired results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    I'll let you in on a little secret. Big refrigeration is just like little refrigeration. Moves heat the same way. Requires the same temps to achieve desired results.
    So size doesn't matter??? Thank God!
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I have never seen a 404 unit with a discharge temp lower than ambient. I'm tinking your compressor has issues.

I might need to raise my prices .... 800 bones , and it wont even pull down to zero , holy cow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast