Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insufferable install dept.

Service techs: have you ever left a company due to a terrible, uncaring, barely educated install department that was never held accountable by the salesman, management or company owner?
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

I am in central Jerz, gimme a hint on the company, I am looking for a job. I am an installer and the majority of companies I have been at have the attitude just get it in and we will fix it later. I find that's the way it is at the mega companies anyway

At one smaller company the owners sons wife wanted him home so he rushed the job and didn't glue the PVC primary drain lines. Along with a new unit and a horrible install the homeowners also got a mold patch on the ceiling. It sucked having to go behind that guy and fix the f-up because in the customers eyes you are that guy. Embarrassing to say the least.

Key word owner son family business suck

Quote Originally Posted by brewer1 View Post
    I am in central Jerz, gimme a hint on the company, I am looking for a job. I am an installer and the majority of companies I have been at have the attitude just get it in and we will fix it later. I find that's the way it is at the mega companies anyway
    Brewer, I wouldn't want to put you thru the revolving door that is my employers install dept. they rush you to get jobs done then they send me to be UN peace keeper/clean up crew. Then I'd end up hating you. You wouldn't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    Brewer, I wouldn't want to put you thru the revolving door that is my employers install dept. they rush you to get jobs done then they send me to be UN peace keeper/clean up crew. Then I'd end up hating you. You wouldn't want that.
    I hear ya , I've left a few companies over the years because of owner's sons, and it does suck being the clean up guy

I have left two companies for similar install hack jobs. Current situation I'm in is great. I get to work with installers when they are almost done. I show up to hook up controls and do initial startup. If it isn't "service friendly" they get to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert25 View Post
    Key word owner son family business suck
    Not all family businesses suck. I own one and in my company, work comes first. If my son's wife wanted him home and he left one of my jobs the way your guy did, he wouldn't be coming in to work anymore. My employees know policies, my kids know ME. I would hope he would think the way I think and if she didn't like it, she could leave before he got home. But since my son is 11 I have plenty of time to mold him properly. My point is don't paint EVERY small business with such a broad brush.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Yeah...well. One more vote for the son sucks. Totally destroys the good work the father created. Dollars above all else; and the poison seeps from top to bottom.

Hear ya' Jerz; applaud ya' Dan...

Left a company about 5 months ago because the owner, who was a great guy to work for, was/is turning it over to his son, his son will drive the company into the ground, his two best service techs are gone, he's already lost customers, other guys are shopping around for jobs and yet he still makes excuses for son and won't admit he has no place in the business.

On the other hand! First company I worked, changing filters, was me and the son running routes, dad and mom in the office and grandpa who was 94!!! would come in and cut filters for my routes the next day. Awesome place to work, they took me in like family, the son's goal was to out work me everyday which led to some great competition and sometimes getting done early where the dad would still pay me 8 hours.

So yeah, it can be good and bad but the bad seems to be really freakin bad!

Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    Service techs: have you ever left a company due to a terrible, uncaring, barely educated install department that was never held accountable by the salesman, management or company owner?

no but i'd like to apply at a company like that as an installer

The one large company I worked for had an install department like that. I did not leave because of them though. I left because my 90 day probation wage turned into 8 months. But it was not fun going on those warranty calls on brand new commercial equipment where you were the tech on site and you could not fix anything because everyone was pointing fingers and could not decide who was going to pay for the service call. Some doozies include: Top of the line Lennox multi-stage equipment at a brand new restaurant with the absolute cheepest digital single stage thermostats installed in the patio seating area. Once winter hit, they could not figure out why the heat would not shut off...
    - A brand new surgical center where no one bothered to install air filters, the evap coils clogged, and multiple service calls and modifications to the condensers, someone finally looked at the evaps...

- Another brand new restaurant with top of the line Lennox multi-stage equipment where the installers and the company electrician did not bother to run 18-8 to the thermostats. Oh, and they completely forgot to cut in the return for the kitchen unit and could not figure out why it kept tripping on hi temp overload.

I am sure there are other 'good' stories out there...

I have worked for 3 family owned shops, as a tech, at which the son inherited a company started and built by the father. I left the first 2 to avoid the cliff. One of those is out of business now. One skates on the edge of bankruptcy selling off properties aquired by the father to stay afloat. I will with hold comment on the third for now. But in my experience 2 out of 3 times the son has no appreciation for what the father had to do to get where the son landed. The son expects what his father earned. Demands what his father requested of those around him. And rejects wisdom of those who would help him. Can't say all are like this but I have yet to find one that prospers after the reigns are passed. Survive? Perhaps. Prosper and grow? Nope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast