Thread: Carrier Infinity Malfunction codes 77 and 78

Post Likes

Carrier Infinity Malfunction codes 77 and 78

Just got back from vacation and find my house in the mid-80s and a System Malfunction message on the thermostat. Equipment is 25HNA648A003/58MVC100-F-1/SYSTXCCUID01-B v14 and was installed almost exactly 5 years ago (6/26/2008).

Error codes are 77 and eventually pushing 78's, and appears to have been doing this for about two days.

I am waiting for the technician from the HVAC company that installed the system originally, but thought I would pop in here.

Is this a "common" issue with this series of heat pump (I can get serial numbers if that helps narrow down production runs) ? Some other posts here seem to indicate that this series was phased out to resolve this type of compressor issues?

FWIW, I have not had a minute of problems in the 5 years since it was installed, but want to make sure my problem is fixed for good and not just kicked down the road until the 10 year part warranty expires.

Thoughts?

PS I am trying to find another local Carrier dealer to get a second opinion as well, but if this is indeed something common (and normally covered) then maybe I will just stick with the same company that has been servicing it all along.

Post Likes
    Tech came out and verified that the compressor needs to be replaced under warranty.

They are checking now to determine if my unit is indeed one of the "recalled" models where they will replace the entire heat pump with a newer one. If it is then the new unit will come with a new 10 year warranty while a replacement compressor warranty exists within the original timeframe.

How do *I* look up Carrier heat pump recall model numbers? Is there a reason Carrier did not contact me directly regarding the recall so I could arrange the swap under my schedule instead of fate's?

Post Likes
    25ana6... oh dear, another Bristol bites the dust. (insert appropriate song).

I wish Carrier just saved themselves some trouble, and just automatically offered owners of these units a credit towards either a new HNB6 or HNB9 to prevent future repeat issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in